Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
pungo

Re-Polarizing Flywheels Service by Briggs

pungo

I received confirmation today from Briggs and Stratton that they still offer re-polarization service for early model cast-iron engines. Following is a long address,it would be nice if its not in the Technical Articles Forum to add it.

Briggs and Stratton / Menomonee Falls Distribution Center

Inbound Docks 1-13

N 83W 12529 Old Orchard Road

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin 53051

I feel this is the best way to go when restoring a 243431 Cast-Iron 10 HP if you plan to use it every week, despite the hassle. The Post Office offers a box the bubble-wrapped flywheel will fit in and shipping is reasonable.

Briggs puts a Factory magnetic charge on it and ships it back free, you can't beat that for a 50+ year old part!

This will allow you to use a modern coil (which I have forgotten the number of, Help!) and do away with your points/condenser.

I went to the trouble to do this when I rebuilt my 2010 a few years back and still mow 3+ acres weekly,the motor fires flawlessly.

I'm sending the flywheel from my B-110 Relic job because I want to eliminate one source of anxiety,everything else is good on this engine as far as compression, no smoke,and with a rebuilt Carb I feel it will be as reliable as my 2010.

Rick3410

Thanks alot Pungo. I think I'm going to go this route for my 16 B&S. Hard to believe they do this for free, but everybody swears by it. Maybe goodwill and positive PR for them. Thanks for the legwork getting the address.

Rick3410

Is there a phone number to call the B&S folks? I would think they need to issue a return authorization number so the factory will know how to process your parts. Call it in, get a number and then send the part?

mikeman

On a seperate peice of paper put your name return address and what you want done (repolarize flywheel) in the box with the flywheel and ship it.:D

donmoore1904

I may break down and finally go this route with my 243431. My mom always warned me not to do something just because others are, but this appears to be something those who have done unanimously like.

landlord2110

what coil do you use with a pointless engine(243341 engine)? I went with the electronic ignition(Electronic Ignition Module Nova11) since 2009 bypassing points & runs perfect.