Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stacking Hay Allis Style

bowhunt4life

We finally had 3 days of sun with no chance of rain. This meant we needed to bale hay and stack over 500 bales for our 2 appaloosa mares. This is our first crop and will carry us thru fall and winter.

My girls chipped in and the HB did well. The 540PTO ran the elevator but unfortunately in the wrong direction so the 540 PTO will hit the classifieds.

I ended up running the elevator off the front pulley and engaged the elevator by putting pressure on the belt.

I am no seeking a rear mount generator to power the electric motor I have for the elevator. The pole barn where we keep the hay has no power source.

2013-06-20181402_zps4a6ef511.jpg

2013-06-20183951_zps2c17006f.jpg

2013-06-20184439_zpsadf18d2a.jpg

In the link below the "Speed Jack" PTO drive is able to be taken from either side for both directions. Is there any way to change something on yours or in the elevator drive assy. to switch its direction? I saw a guy yrs ago with a PTO splined shaft pinned onto his FDT's front keyed shaft...I thought it would be kinda fast though? Good luck sm01http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/speed_jack.htm

quote:Originally posted by bowhunt4life

We finally had 3 days of sun with no chance of rain. This meant we needed to bale hay and stack over 500 bales for our 2 appaloosa mares. This is our first crop and will carry us thru fall and winter.My girls chipped in and the HB did well. The 540PTO ran the elevator but unfortunately in the wrong direction so the 540 PTO will hit the classifieds. I ended up running the elevator off the front pulley and engaged the elevator by putting pressure on the belt.I am no seeking a rear mount generator to power the electric motor I have for the elevator. The pole barn where we keep the hay has no power source.2013-06-20181402_zps4a6ef511.jpg2013-06-20183951_zps2c17006f.jpg2013-06-20184439_zpsadf18d2a.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">

On many elevators you could unbolt the drive and bolt it to the opposite side to reverse it.

On that one it almost looks like you could park the tractor beside, partly under the elevator and use a tiller drive...

Could you do a half flip of the belt to change the direction? this is how they did it on the old threshing machines with the flat belts, of coarse those belts were muuuuuch longer. Is the tractor close to the door or end of the building, I would be concerned with carbon monoxide outputs from the good looking old gal.

Dan

I don't think the drive is reversable but will look.

I have a 540 rear PTO and had it hooked up the the elevator but the way the pulleys spin it ran the elevator in reverse.

I have a small electric motor that will run the elevator in the correct direction but no power in the pole barn.

Yes we are just in side the door, plenty of clean air.

I thought about parking under but not quite enough belt length to do that.

Oh well I'll figure something out.

Chris,

Did you have to mention hay!

I am now in the process of picking up 400 bales (50 bales at a time) from my supplier. Boy does that get old. Load 50 bales on the trailer, drive home, unload 50 bales of hay into a 24 X 36 foot garage / barn. By the end of the week or so I can hardly move I am so sore. I would love to find an elevator to make unloading the hay much easier.

I need about 400 bales to make it through the winter till next summer. No grass in my 3 acre pasture.

Rick......

belt routing.jpg

I'm not sure that i explained the belt flipping thing so hear is a drawing to show by flipping the belt it would reverse the direction of the elevator. I think a long belt would work best in this application to prevent the belt from jumping off the pulleys.Dan

57e05e76f3db5_beltrouting.jpg.b070ed986b3cc8193ac296ade957b0d9.jpg

I like it:D

I picked up a 100" belt and will try the half twist with the 540 PTO tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Thanks,

Chris

Heck I put some up today and had not elevator lol it was pull the wagon in the center of the barn and pitch em off. lol I had to stack em

I've got some low back issues so that is why the need for the elevator. I think my days of pitch'em them off and restacking is over.

I'm in the midst of putting up first cutting here at the ranch so I can definitely identify! We have a small breeding brood of Morgans here. The weather refuses to properly cooperate with haying at the present time.B)