Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter/Generator Chrome Cover

Rick3410

Has anyone seen a chrome cover that slides over the delco-remy starter/generator. Seems to me I remember these back on Sixties hot rods.

The starter-generators on these tractors are totally sealed because of the way they are used. This makes them get very hot if large amounts of current are pulled from them. In fact, the voltage regulators limit the current draw to prevent burning up the units. If a chrome cover were put over these units it would cause the starter-generator to run much hotter than it does now and cause failure. I do not recommend that you put a cover on your starter-generator for two reasons:

1.) Chrome reflects heat back into the housing of the s-g (by blocking the radiation), making it get much hotter.

2.) A chrome housing does not contact the housing uniformly to pull heat out effectively by conduction. Even when heat sinks are installed on electronic components they use a heat conductive paste or heat conductive epoxy to conduct the heat into the heat sink. If an air gap is allowed between the components the outer piece becomes an insulator (keeps air from getting to the part to remove the heat. Called convection.)

The automobile generators had the ends open and a fan to pull air through the unit. These tractor s-g units do not. As I said before, a chrome cover over an s-g would almost surely cause it to fail very prematurely.