Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
isetta

Powermax lift control levers

isetta

On a Powermax that has dual hydraulic control levers, what happens when you move a lever that has nothing connected? Like most of the time when the rear cylinder is controlling the belly mower, what happens when you move the other lever? Is this hard on the system, or engine? Now that I know which lever controls the rear cylinder I won't have to move the other one but if accidentally moved is this bad for the system?

Marty-MN

I've been known to move the wrong lever and all that has happened is a very small amount to fluid seeped through the hydraulic connector on the front of the tractor. :D

HubbardRA

As acfarmer said above, there is a high pressure bypass built into the valve. The pressure will build to the maximum allowed and then bypass back to the tank. This does generate a lot of heat in the system and can cause leaks or seepage, since the system normally never sees this max pressure in its normal usage. Most attachments will move at much less than maximum pressure.

As far as I can think of, only a front end loader or backhoe will run near or hit the max pressure relief on a regular basis. My EF1D FEL/backhoe actually has a radiator with electric fan to keep the temperature of the hydraulic fluid down to reasonable levels. It has a temperature gauge and an on/off switch for the fan, driver controlled not automatic.

isetta

Thanks guys, so the hydro pump is trying to push fluid and there is nowhere to go so the bypass valve does it's thing? Does the engine typically get hit with a load and lug down as a result? That's what happened to mine when I pulled that lever, just trying to asses if my system is working as it should.

HubbardRA

Yes, you will usually hear the governors crack the throttle open to try and compensate for the load of that higher pressure. Relief valves are set differently for different brands. My friend has a Kubota that will trip the pressure relief and you barely notice a difference in the engine. My EF1D has been know to kill the engine if pressure relief is tripped at less than full throttle, and there are multiple hydraulic circuits being used at that time. It is situationally related. Remember that the load on the engine to trip the pressure release is the same as if the pressure were reached by lifting a heavy load. The hydraulic system doesn't know the difference.