Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Vanguard Adapter

John_in_Oxford

It makes me wonder if they took a Kohler adaptor an machined it to fit. It appears to be the same as the first one in the link below. The one pictured in your link is from the same place as my link below. They do a lot of conversion kits. Small Engine Warehouse is who was selling the motor I had a picture of.

The third item down in the link below is a Vanguard adaptor to go into a Simplicity 7116H.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&item=200885966283&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_osacat=0&hash=item2ec5bc95cb&_ssn=small-engine-deals&_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=flywheel+adaptor&_sacat=0

Thanks Ray. When I go to your eBay link, the 3rd one down says "no photo available" -Flywheel Adapter Conversion Kit Kohler to Briggs LT125-FLY-BV-1.

That's a good range of adapters tho.

In the photo I referenced, the part is definitely die-cast, so I know it's not a custom machined part - but none of the local dealers`here have seen it.

I can make one from scratch, using billet - but it seems silly when there's one listed in a parts catalog somewhere.

Photo is there when I open it up. Here is the item number 360585275898 of the one I am talking about.

There has been discussion here in the past about that one on the Vanguard picture. It is not in any of the Vanguard accessories PDF manuals available online or none of the parts manuals that I have looked at.

Ronald Hribar a member here has a friend that works for Briggs and I think in a post it was determined that the part doesn`t exists. Maybe, Ron, will post if he has found anymore info. So it makes you wonder if they machined a Kohler part to fit a Vanguard, because they are identical in appearance.

Not sure why SEW warehouse would have stuck a Kohler part on a Briggs but they look identical. The Kohler part number is 2402909-S .

360585275898 Checks out - yup familiar with that part - but it doesn't match the one in your earlier pic.

2402909-S - checks out too.

OK well at least there's some options out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some interchangeability here & there - after all these engines compete for the same market segments.

No new information

I believe SEW makes them

I am supposed to have two adapters around

May have used one

Will see if they have part numbers on them

Thought I saw one for sale recently maybe even on this site

quote:Originally posted by John_in_Oxford

360585275898 Checks out - yup familiar with that part - but it doesn't match the one in your earlier pic.2402909-S - checks out too.OK well at least there's some options out there.I wouldn't be surprised if there were some interchangeability here & there - after all these engines compete for the same market segments.

id="quote">
id="quote">I know it doesn`t match the one in the picture of the link you posted. The one in the picture appears to be a Kohler part because it is identical to the two Kohler adaptors I have here.I know the Briggs adaptor discussed above, they have machined for there conversion kits. I bought one from them for a Honda so that I could put a Honda GX 620 in my 917H. They should have made it an 1" longer so that the adaptor came out past the flywheel screen. I had to extend the one I bought from them or it would suck chafe into the engine and over heat. I ended up having to cut the driveshaft and making it shorter, but that makes more sense than that big hole that needed to be filled.

So here s where I am at - understanding-wise:

1. The coupler shown in the link I first posted is a "mystery part".

2. Besides the machined part made by 3rd party, they have also adapted a Kohler part for the job.

As for the gap between screen and coupling - heck yes - fastest way to cook one of these engines - but I can fix that sort of stuff.

Thanks Ray, thanks Ron.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

I think they adapted the part. It sure looks like it and I believe I read where Ron bought the kohler part and it would not fit his Vanguard, but I maybe wrong. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=119010&SearchTerms=24,029,09

id="quote">
id="quote">Bingo! That link finally put 2 + 2 together for me. Thanks!

Followup (yes, I talk to myself too):

At least the Cub Cadet 2165 shipped with a Briggs V-Twin. It also powered the tractor from the flywheel end.

That adapter/coupling has the same p/n, whether used with the B&S or Kohler Command.

With the Cub, there is a base part and separate centering pin, then an upper part that attaches too the base which the CV unit bolts to.

The base P/N is: 719-3096

The pin P/N is: 711-3330

This may work out well for me, because in addition to a repower, I'd like to improve the engine to hydro connection with a CV style driveshaft.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

So what is the Briggs number? Kohlers is 2402909-S.The base P/N is: 719-3096The pin P/N is: 711-3330Or will the kohler 2402909 part attach to the reference number 22 in the link below?http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=cub_cadet&mn=145-633-100&dn=0024700009

id="quote">
id="quote">The Briggs P/N - that is the $64K question!And yes, that link to Partstree - that is one example of what CAN attach to the Kohler P/N.There are others, depending on configuration.I have a good Allis Chalmers collector acquaintance of mine, whose family has owned a Simple dealership since the late 50s - he turns up no P/N - how strange..."Oh, they'll never need another one of those - so we don't put it in the parts catalog" seems to be the situation.OK, I'm going back out to the lathe - more Frankenstein at work... mehehheh...