Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First fixes Sloppy PTO

Cyclone

So I just picked up a 67 LL and I went through it last night and found a few things I want to straigten out right away.

The first is a sloppy PTO engagement lever that will "auto engage" from engine vibration. This has to get taken care of asap as I can't have the blades start spinning with the mower up and tracotr running. I did some searching but could not find info easily. Searching "PTO" comes up with tons results.

The engagement lever has been modified a little. There is a socket cap screw that I think was added. Take a look and let me know if you see anything. If someone has a good pic of a properly set up lever I would appreciate it. The online manuals link on simple trACtors isn't working so I can't check myself.

PTO_zps4fb1e737.jpg

You just need a new self-locking nut on the swivel stud. Snug it down until the pto stays dis-engaged. Some sort of friction washer helps, also.

I took a look at the diagrams in the manual and the socket head cap screw is an add on. Once I removed it the PTO lever moved forward and the idler dropped down a bit and held in place. The pivot on the PTO handle is a little loose so I will have to look at swapping some hardware and the idler bracket is pretty sloppy but at least the PTO doesn't just come on!!

On to the next task...