Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

fixed my weed cutter

perry

I finally got my weed cutter fixed. I gave my buddy the center arbor spindle to get it repaired. a year later and it still sat in the corner of his bench untouched. well i got it back and decided to use JB weld to fix the key way slot. All repaired and seems to be working great. cut for about a hour tonight and still more to do. will be nice to get all my trails in the woods cut down ^. WEEDCUTTER006_zps3adf11d2.jpg

MISCPICS006.jpg

1WEEDCUTTER002_zpsa513bb8e.jpg1WEEDCUTTER006_zps348b659f.jpg1WEEDCUTTER008_zps555248a1.jpg1WEEDCUTTER011_zps56e3162d.jpg

I am working on some new shafts for my powermax mower.The thing about the big mower is that it uses needle bearings for the shaft. I have 1 done for for the center. I will be making the other 2 when I can.I have been making them out of ground and polished shaft. I do have to get new bearing for it soon before I put it together. The mower was left in the weeds for a few years the way it looks.Even the blades where badly rusted but looks like they were bearly used. Good luck with your J.B. weld but I would not trust it I think you would have been better off if it was welded up and turned it true and new key way . Bob

I do envy you Perry, to be back onto the trails again. Been kinda toasty out here in the NE. Even with the lack of rain, the undergrowth has been growing much too well! I do have to have one of my 2110s running to use my weed cutter. It's the issue you know all too well, too many inter-dependent projects.

Cheers,

Wayne

My weedcutters are still at the paint shop. I am told they will be ready next week.

Boy I hope so.

Nice work Perry.

Man, if you can use JB Weld to repair that, and it holds, I am impressed. I had no idea that stuff was sufficiently strong and bonded well enough to do a repair such as that.

quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

Man, if you can use JB Weld to repair that, and it holds, I am impressed. I had no idea that stuff was sufficiently strong and bonded well enough to do a repair such as that.

id="quote">
id="quote">I would be interested in how long it holds. Once that key moves that JB weld will move with it..

I love JB weld but this will be interesting to see how long this stuff can really hold. I did use JB on a cone clutch with some success.

Your right it will be interesting to see how it holds up. The keyway is shot. The only thing that I can see holding it together is the fact that the pulley bore will contain it. JB weld is a surface product with no penetration and is not strong as the steel it is replacing.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

it will be interesting to see how it holds up. The key way is shot. .

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep me too ;) This was a quick temp fix i used to get the weed cutter working . my future plan is to strip it completely down and redo the whole weed cutter. then i will fix the shaft with weld and get turned down with new key. I will leave the JB weld in there until it breaks again , we'll see how long it takes. so far i have mowed over 2hrs with it in tall grass and some small saplings/trees on the trails in the woods.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• B10Dave
    • maxwood
    • GregB
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts