Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pix brand of Kevlar belts; poor quality/longevity?

powerking_one

All,

I was using my 3314H with the ground up rebuilt 48" deck the other day and the deck belt broke. I replaced it along with the idler (still like new and pivots fine) and spindle bearings (also fine); no real execess grass chaff buildup under the covers. Looking at the shreaded belt, I can't figure out why this thing was so destroyed. The rebuilt deck only has about 25 hours on it; heck it was just about time for the first blade re-sharpening. This belt (1/2" HA x 85") was from Tractor Supply --PIX brand made in India.

Have any of you seen/experienced what I'm guessing is just a Q.A. problem and low life expectancy of these belts on mower deck applications?

I've ordered a Stens True-Blue one (also Kevlar) to replace it with and see how it "goes".

Tom (PK)

I always try to get a Genuine Simplicity belt. eBay has been good lately and some dealers may have one in their inventory. I have a few dealers close to me that have surprised me with what they have. Good hunting!

It seems like, unless there is an underlying issue, these belts go for many seasons. If you ate up a belt that fast, it is either a poor quality belt, or there may be an alignment issue or an issue with a pulley (burr, bent, alignment) or too tight, loose, etc.

That's what I would think, anyway.

Did you notice gradual wear during the 25 hours of use? For example, was it wearing on the sides and finally gave way?

When I did the final checkout of the rebuilt deck (covers off and running/observing the belt & idler tracking), it looked perfectly fine. The spindle pulley gooves were smooth, new idler had no edge burrs/etc. Tracking was dead on and belt centered in the idler. Hence, this I why I posted the opening problem question/inquiries about others experiences in general about these Pix brand belts.

Tom (PK)

I've also found these Pix belts don't stand up. I'm using a Gates Bladerunner now, and it seems to be standing up very well. It's 17/32 deep instead of the regular 1/2", I cant remember the belt # off hand.

I have used the PIX made belts with decent success on things that don't twist. (Deck belts, drive belts, etc) I tried the tractor supply one on the cross drive on one of my RBT's and it didn't last. But strangely I bought a belt from a mower shop that was a different brand but from the same manucfaturer and it worked on my 712 for mower PTO for quite a while.

For my opinion I general try to stock the genuine simplicty for any belt that twists.