Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mbinwi

Oil turned white?

mbinwi

Never seen this before. Son was mowing with the 738, 8 hp Briggs, then a big puff of white smoke, lots of it! After the motor sat for a few minutes, I went to check the oil, and when I took off the cap, pure white oil came bubbling out. Not just milky color, this was as white as cream poured from a pitcher. What happened?? Motor starts, but under a load, this happens all over again.

Mike.

powerking_one

Do not rule out intentional "domestic" or other sabotage. Some kids out there may try to pull the "wool" over parents' eyes in getting out of a domestic chore saying the lawnmower/tractor broke down. There are many YouTube vidios out there with various methods of adding things like bleach, water, anti-freeze to engine oil and then showing the self destruction of the engine thereof.

Case in point: I picked up an almost new 20" push mower from a guy that was told the engine was shot; oil covered the engine & deck. The son who was using it said white smoke was just pouring out the exhaust then quit (for some "reason").

Turns out, I drained out about 2 quarts of oil from a normally 21 OZ level. Still running this mower as my trimmer today and does not burn a drop of oil.

Food for thought....

Tom (PK)

farmtoybuilder

Drain it out, put a couple qts of diesel fuel in it and shake the tractor-motor a little and drain again. fill with new oil and see what happens. If it has gas in it you could smell it and oil would be thin. Haven't seen gas turn it white! White is water-moister, Might check crankcase breather also?

sb64

Blue Smoke= Burning Oil

Black Smoke= Burning too much gas (too rich)

White Smoke= Water in the oil

Don't understand how water would get inside theresm00

I've had white oil, after the mower had been sitting a long time, but not when I use it constantly. I think someone messed with it. JMO

mbinwi

Thanks guys, I guess it was water. The tractor does sit out side, covered with plastic tarps. I have no idea how water could have gotten in there. In a similar incident early this spring, after a couple of early spring rain storms, the snow blower froze up, after I freed it up, and got it spinning, water came flying out of the muffler, and this machine is also kept covered with plastic tarps. I store it during the summer in the ice shack.

Any way, I changed the oil a couple of times, and now it's good to go. The thick white oil didn't smell burnt, just smelled like oil, but it seemed thicker like whipping cream. I think what happened is when it expanded, it worked it way through the breather tube and into the carb, then into the combustion chamber, hence the smoke. After flushing a couple of times with fresh oil, it's all good. Tractor runs great. So I'm guessing the water got in either through the exhaust, or the carb and breather tube. It has sat under tarps in the rain before, and never had any problems.

I still have not completely ruled out back yard sabotage. Through the years, strange things have happened. Neighbors garage broke into, things stored along the back property line moved, tools I use at our fire pit ended up scattered around the yard, which ended up causing the replacement of a spindle on the mower deck of a Craftsman 11 hp.

All is good for now. Thanks guys!

Mike.

Kenh
quote:Originally posted by powerking_one

Turns out, I drained out about 2 quarts of oil from a normally 21 OZ level. Still running this mower as my trimmer today and does not burn a drop of oil. Food for thought....Tom (PK)

id="quote">
id="quote">I did the same for a customers motorcycle. He couldn't "see" the oil in the site glass so kept adding oil. It's supposed to hold 4 quarts. i drained 11 1/2 out. It was almost full to the threads of the fill plug:O I guess he thought it was like the engine on his briggs push mower. Fill it till the oil runs out the fill plug.:DWhite oil is generally moisture contamination.Ken