Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dumb Questions

aspeltz1

1. Is there a way to release tension on my spindle belt in order to remove? 1966 Bee 10 with 42" deck. 2. After installing new blades (108298 that changed to 1656144)the left blade rubs on bolt threads. It only does it on one side of the blade.Any suggestions?

photo.JPG

photo.JPG.67dbb89e3f306815910e38381f6d7700.JPG

The idler pulley should move freely, and this would release the tension. If it does not move freely, it needs to be removed, cleaned up, lubricated (I would use Never Seize or something similar) and reinstalled.

As far as the blade hitting, that baffle has probably been tweaked, and a little help from a persuader (heavy hammer) will help readjust the baffle. You may have a bent spindle if it is only happening on one side of the blade. Unless it is a considerable difference, I would get it up and running and see how smooth it runs before I would tear into the spindle assembly.

In the photo, the metal looks like it's been pushed in. If that's the case, you should be able to "persuade" it back to original shape.

• 1 year later...

Per the parts diagram, the carriage bolts holding the anti-scalp roller bracket is installed backwards. Carriage bolt head should be on blade side of baffle.

As to the arbor drive belt tension, some early decks came without the pivoting idler assembly and were locked in position (bolt through idler pulley I believe); loosen bolt to move pulley. Or as stated above, if it's a spring loaded idler it's pivot bushing needs attention.

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

Just to clarify, there are no dumb questions on this site. my $.02

id="quote">
id="quote">I push the boundaries pretty hard sm00

Originally posted by alec
quote:
id="quote">If you don't know the answer then the question isn't dumb. There may be dumb answers however!

Originally posted by hurleyii
quote:
id="quote">If you don't know the answer then the question isn't dumb. There may be dumb answers however!
id="quote">id="quote">Dumb answers!....on this site?? Say it ain't so! sm00

If you don't know the answer then the question isn't dumb.

I know its " me " thats dumb .

I got the book " ignorance for dummies " memorized it apparently....

Dumb questions vs Simple questions lies in the intent. An earnest question is never dumb, particularly when it comes to machinery and spinning blades...