Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO Mystery

pungo

Since I have been mowing with my 2010 I have never figured out the proper belts. If I put the listed Simplicity belt on the PTO drive it appears too large unless I put the shorter deck drive belt on,which is pretty tight and requires jacking the PTO forward with a 2 by 4 until it goes over the pulley.

Now,a new problem came up, the PTO shimmies like a shaking dervish but the deck drive belt is tight. It looks like the PTO drive belt is too large again.

Someone told me the mower drive belt should go on easily by hand, and the tensioner spring tightens everything up. Is this true?

Is my problem a too long PTO drive belt?

The correct belts only work if the deck drive pulley and the bgb pto pulley are correct size too.

Your PTO belt should be 35" and your cross drive 44".

You can adjust the pto engage lever to move your tensioner pulley too.

You can loosen the set screw in the collar, and slide the collar back or forward to adjust the spring tension for different belts.

And yes, you should be able to put the cross drive belt on without too much effort.

Another hint I saw recently, if your cross drive belt is too short, when you raise the deck, it will hit the bottom of the pto, rather than being in front of it.

I have the correct Simplicity belt on my 65 Landlord, and I always have to use a 2x4 against the tire to get it on, but it has been there for several years. The PTO will not work unless the cross drive belt is close to the proper length

what about the lever for the springloaded PTO underneath the left side of rear axle. moving this lever toward the rear hitch puts tension on the belt & vise versa going opposite direction.

It does Landlord but the mower drive belt tension must be sufficient to spring the PTO forward, thereby tightening the PTO drive belt.

I robbed the belts from my B-110 while its down and they are correct. The mower drive belt goes on without jacking the PTO forward and the PTO drive belt is shorter. I'm taking these to TS and buying a couple of each.Thanks everyone!