Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deutz Allis 920

ZippoVarga

The Deutz made it home! Lombardini took a while to clean out the lines of old fuel then charge the lines. It lives!! Check the video here....

Have someone drive the tractor and tow your Jeep. At WOT and full stroke on hyro, ride the brakes of the Jeep enough to pull down Diesel and make it work hard for a while. That will really heat up engine and help you clean up the blue smoke problem. The blue exhaust is unburned fuel from not working hard.

Ah! Gotcha Bob! Thanks buddy! Newbie to diesels, so I'm just glad I got the old girl running. I'll see if I can get a volunteer to ride the brakes in the jeep. I'd like to clear up that heavy smoking without having to tear into the injectors if at all possible.

Sean, when testing, at first exhaust will get real bad then at some point start clearing up to a point where it turns black. Unburnt fuel clings to metal and needs to be cooked out. The hot fire from the exhaust should do it. When you pull it a WOT, have your driver pull you down to just where the engine hangs on. The best medicine that I can offer. The only other thing that I can advise you is start with an air cleaner element. Diesel engines have no throttle plate so the air restriction on element has to be real low. If air cleaner element fouls up heavy, you will get humongous black smoke and low power.

Took a little time out to find the paint under all the soot. She's a bit more presentable now that a little Awesome cleaner and the power washer got a hold of her.

Clean1.jpg

Clean2.jpg

Clean3.jpg

Clean4.jpg

Clean5.jpg

Clean6.jpg

Thanks to Mr. Osenga, she'll soon have a rear lift cable and another shout out to BLT (Bob Tiarks) for his advice on how to work out the kinks with the blue smoke. I cleaned the cooling fins real well yesterday and on occasion the engine seems to be missing on one cylinder, so I added some Lucas injector cleaner along with a little seafoam in hopes she'll continue to climb out of the long slumber she was in before I got my hands on her. Had the banjo fitting at the fuel pump leaking a little, so fixed that simply by cutting off the bitter end of the fuel line that had a crack in it that I overlooked when I initially went through the fuel delivery system. As a side note......I put a tow strap on the rear of the 920, mounted the 26x12x12 Good Year Ags for traction and pulled the Jeep up a 30 degree incline and for the life of me, I couldn't "tax" the engine enough to make her grunt! This thing is a BEAST! Next will be an asphalt pull (up the 20 degree grade to the house drive) on turf tires with very little pressure and see if applying the brakes to the Jeep while pulling with the 920 will tax the engine enough to heat her up and free up the one sticky injector. If not, I'll go ahead and pull the injectors for a thorough cleaning. All in all, I'm still very impressed with the power/torque of this little Lombardini. Another issue though......Not charging! Any tips or tricks anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated, as I hope to put this beast to work day and night.

Clean1.jpg.67901df634e16260d7ebd635e65c9275.jpg

Clean2.jpg.99d678e74e155f3fc2d2cc71cbc93755.jpg

Clean3.jpg.e08acbb61f92500bf786cb1c54669570.jpg

Clean4.jpg.8fb29be61603010875b048ef1d958585.jpg

Clean5.jpg.86d78794a7c168eef1cec125ec5a277f.jpg

Clean6.jpg.9eb0a4f9eee97b3241f7da5a0852717f.jpg

And another big THANKS to you Bob! (missed your second comment until just now) I've got the fuel and air filters on my list of things to pick up. The tractor was used in apparently very dusty conditions (judging by the amount of fine powdery caked on dirt between the cylinder jug cooling fins)and the old trick of checking for sun light through the air filter kept me in the dark, so to speak. I really appreciate your help Bob. This is all new to me, but I'm learning!

Bob....do the regulators go bad very often in these Lombardini's or is there somewhere else I should be focusing my attention to get the old engine charging?

Cheers!

On the non firing injector, with the engine running, crack the nut on the line just before the nozzle and and bleed it if you can. Sometime nozzle lines become air bound and cracking line will eleiminate that. Word of caution!! That line could as high as 3500 PSI as the nozzles require a high pressure to function. If the the line doesn't bleed out, you have a pump problem I believe, and if the is a copious fuel squirting at the nut, it could have a nozzle problem.

As far as voltage regulator goes, there has been a lot of script written about that in the past year and I guess from wht I have seen they are a certified PIA. RayS would be the latest person involved. For the price of the regulator new, you'd be better off going to boneyard and finding a 12 v 40 A alternator and belt driving it off the front. I have one here about the size of a softball. Now check your battery condition with a voltmeter to insure that you indeed have a problem. With due respect, I think ameters are junk and voltmeters tell you everything.

Hmm I spy little bits of orange peeking from underneath the green...

Could it be that the frame was taken from Allis stock and repainted for Duetz? IIRC the Simplicity frames were black/charcoal so not one of them!

:D:D Cut it out Sean. Making the rest of us jealous is not very nice.sm06sm06...Dave

Reed, I am curious about the frame showing some signs of orange also. It's definitely a frame intended for the diesel with all the right protrusions on the frame to accommodate the Lombardini, so the mystery goes on...lolBob, I checked the votage at the battery with a load tester as well as volt meter and there is no increase in voltage that is consistent with a working charging system. I did find information on how to test the alternator by checking voltage directly at the two yellow lines coming off the alternator to see if it is charging. If so, then I'm in to troubleshooting the regulator/rectifier. If I can decipher each contacts job on the R/R, then I may be able to retrofit a Kohler R/R, which is a lot easier on the wallet than an OEM Lombardini R/R. Or better yet, use one of my Briggs Regulators. We'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks for the possible air lock advice with the injector. I will see about that here shortly. It stands to reason that I have not completely bled the fuel system of air considering the length of time it sat idle without being properly stored. Then there was my uneducated method of bleeding the lines and getting it running before acquiring the manual showing the proper way to purge the system. Impatience sometimes gets the better of me! lol. The strait ethanol idea a good one for cleaning out the fuel system? I was reading through some place last night where a gent suggested using this method to "clean out the internals." Any input would be appreciated prior to attempting this. Mark.....always the comedian!! lol.....It was actually mangled up real bad and I took a little time with my lead bag and nylon hammer to get it looking a little more presentable. Here's what it DID look like!

Dirty1.jpg

Dave.....I literally fell into this deal because I was feeling like crap. Couldn't move my neck and was tired of watching the TV, so I headed to Craigslist and stumbled onto the cab....what are the chances that this chain of events would yield such an awesome package as the DanCo. Cab and Deutz 920?? Sometimes Lady Luck shines down! Speaking of "Lady"....my buddy Grinchy has come up with the perfect name for the 920 and all credit goes to him on this one. Lady Lime is now her name. It's only fitting, since I named his Queen some years back...lol. To be continued!

Dirty1.jpg.38f469f7e1b1896e201aa65600dc80ae.jpg

Alcohol, ethanol and gasoline are thinners. The plunger & bushings in the injector pump that create the fuel pressure are lapped in because of the next to zero tolerance of those parts. They thrive on the lubricity that the paraffin in fuel oil contains seize quickly if not lubricated. I don't recall even seeing Sea Foam as an approved cleaner. And getting an injector pump repaired will take out all the enjoyment of owing that tractor.. I haven't read the book but you could go to #1 or maybe kero. But anything else in my opinion is a bad shake of the dice box.

Seafoam says on can safe for diesel. Bob, you probably have a case of it:D!

Tractor was probably built for Allis and painted orange. Right about the time Deutz bought Allis. I have seen others that way in the past.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

Seafoam says on can safe for diesel. Bob, you probably have a case of it:D!

id="quote">
id="quote">The only foam I beleive in comes out of the bottle when I pop off the cap. And the price of my foam is 24 bottles to one can of that other Foam, he he.^

I'll take your advice and steer clear of the ethanol idea. I can put a half and half mix of diesel and kerosene in the tank. I did check the alternator wires them selves and it's not showing any volts B)XX(sm00

I may go the automotive alternator route if I find that the alternator problem is a burned up coil wire. We'll see.

OMG Zip a RBT in the fleet!!!

She's looking good Buddy!

Torque is what it is all about, along as the Sunstrand can take it!

Wayne

You get the quirks worked out, and I have a feeling we'll see a LOT more of 'ol Zippo and that RBT in some soon-to-be-famous youtube footage ;)

Those diesel's do rock...I'm dying to find a chore that will challenge mine. (The other I have here will soon be following another member home! Diesel Club?)

Looks fantastic, Sean!

Have you tried any fuel additives made for diesel, like Howes?

Heya Kenny! Nope....but the smoke is clearing up nicely on its own. I have made a note to check out the Howes! Thanks for the tip! I need to make a gasket for the exhaust manifold to muffler union. I do question the amount of liquid being passed through the combustion chambers and leaking from the a fore mentioned gasket. Something else to check on! So far Josh, I'm loving the power! I've yet to TAX the engine enough to blow black smoke! Thinking I'll need to lash onto something so I can use asphalt for traction to hopefully heat up that Lombardini and get those injectors to clean them selves out. Can I expect blue smoke all the time or is this an issue attributed to the possible partially clogged injector/injectors? I tell ya, for having sat for 8 or so years, I felt fortunate that it even turned over, let alone runs. lolWayne, Lady Lime is actually RBT #2! The 3416H has been around for about 4 years, although, she doesn't get used for anything other than breaking in rebuilt engines. Does any one have the answer to this question.......Is the seat pan supposed to have the double hinge that pivots up and over (for lack of a better explanation) or is it just the same as the seat pan that is on my 3416H without the extra bracket to pivot the seat pan?Other than being that awful color, I can see the allure of having one of these diesels in the fleet!!! I can overlook the running boards in that respect, but I still love my FDTs the mostest!!!!!!! lolA final note....I love the fact that Briggs & Stratton is associated with the Lombardini. Makes is more my style, being the Briggs guy that I am! Now to just get that flippity flippin charging system worked out so I can play with all the toys in the Cab!!I did a little cleaning of the decals on the hood to see if they're doable...For now, they'll do, but I'll be getting with Corey and Nate on all the decals should I decide to restore the old Deutz.

Decal1.jpg

Decal1.jpg.55f544ee414d3e16e3d00cf20a525002.jpg

Didnt Kohler acquire Lombardini in the '90's? I also thought Briggs never followed through on a potential purchase of them in the late '70's/early '80's?