Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

To customize or restore?

simpli-dragon

My 64 landlord is coming along. I removed 3 layers of paint to find the numbers on the "replacement" engine that was bolted in the frame. It is a 1968 10HP. If the 10HP starts after a carb rebuild I plan to just run it for now, but have ordered rings/gaskets to rebuild the original 23D.

How much respect does one loose if they customize one of these golden oldies? Some of the tin and frame has been repainted with either a later simplicity or AC orange... less red. I am going to put this tractor to work. That is what I bought it for. I'm the type that as I put things back together, I clean it up, put in any new gaskets, bushings, bearings, etc. and a fresh coat of primer and paint to keep the rust off and the maintenance low.

How many of you are going to laugh at me if I paint the tractor say... copper penny? If the factory color was easy to come by I would be more inclined to use it but since it is not I am thinking of having some fun and letting my kids pick out the color scheme.

The next question is the seat. These days there are far more comfortable options than that shallow little pan but they certainly look different.

Last is custom weights vs. finding originals.

It seems that exhaust modifications are common and since I will be working some in tall grass I have decided to go with a stack type muffler set up.

I say go for it. I like original and strive to keep my tractor as stock as possible. However, I use it as a working machine. I need it to work and will do what I need to do to keep it running. For example, I just switched to an old style ignition coil because pulling the engine to replace the magneto would take me down for too long. I need this tractor to maintain my property so I did the thirty minute fix. As far as the color goes, I think any color, well done looks fine. Keep in mind maintaining a contrast with the decals if you decide to add some later. Welcome aboard Simpli-dragon and I hope you enjoy the club!

As far as the seat goes, I'm all for comfort. My back isn't what it used to be so soft and absorbing is the ticket for me. There are some nice options out there. Use what works for you!

I've been leaning more and more on keeping these things running. The painted ones sure are nice but if you are going to use it the shine doesn't stay long.

Paint it as you see fit. Make the seat comfortable for you to use. Both modifications can be undone at a later date, should someone decide to.

I agree with others, it's your tractor do what makes sense and makes you happy. I have one I redid stock and it looks nice, but the next one I think will be a different color.

My only problem would be if your tractor was a mint condition, bone stock original but at the end of the day, its your tractor and who cares what I think? That being said, I can't wait to see what you have store for your tractor...keep us posted.

I have been thinking of doing a large-frame in candy orange metallic and gloss black.

Paint it however you want. On barn stored originals with no rust I would just wash and touch-up but anything else pick your color.

Just not green LOL that is verboten.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! The BGB comes out tonight to find the play, and carb kit and starter belt will be here tomorrow morning.

I found out that Van Sickle might have the old simplicity red/orange available for special order. They do have the code for the 1960s Ward's metallic brown. They also have two other colors that may be close... Ford Red-Orange and Case Flambeau Red. I have requested color chips for all three. Will let everyone know what I think when I get them.

Todd

Todd,

If You want to go with "rattle-cans" for paint; Rust-Oleum has a Engine Enamel #248947 "chevy red-orange" I find to be excellent gloss, and quick drying. Matches excellent to my other Simplicity products.

Then It's your dollar to spend however you are comfortable.

Welcome to the Club, and to the most controversial topic in our forums!

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Todd, I found VanSickle's red/oranges to be close, but not a match to the '60s machines. I actually worked with them to make the Wards bronze, and it would be great if someone did the same for the early Simplicity color. They were amazing folks to work with.http://www.vansicklepaint.com/halloffame/index.html

id="quote">
id="quote">Just checked their site. Do they sell direct, or distributor only. And if retail, what stores are most likely to carry their product?

John... I am not sure about retail chains but give them a shout and I'm sure that they'll help you out. I have a local, independent, family owned hardware store that carries their products.

Mr. Green... is that your Wards that is in the gallery on their web site? Very nice tractor whomever it belongs to!

Grinchey... I would like something a bit more durable than the rattle can engine paint. This is going to be a work machine, but no reason it can't look nice 8D

quote:Originally posted by simpli-dragon

John... I am not sure about retail chains but give them a shout and I'm sure that they'll help you out. I have a local, independent, family owned hardware store that carries their products.

id="quote">
id="quote">Finally got a moment to pop off an email to them. No retailers in my area show up using Google.That Flambeau Red is sure a dead-ringer tho (and we all know how accurate colors are on a web page - NOT!).I wish Good Fortune for your project.http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af55/Gtractor/1948VAO-4.jpg(this is a better image of the Flambeau Red tractor on VanSickle's Hall of Fme)