Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Does anybody care...

rokon2813

about real hard copy paper manuals anymore ??

With all the available information on the computer, internet and floating around in thin air, does anyone look for original Owners manuals, parts manuals, or repair manuals ??

Or are they just fire starter any more. :o

I print most of the manuals that I download and keep them in a bookcase. It is much easier to look up something from a printed manual than to boot up a computer, then look page by page on the screen, especially with grease up to your elbows. :D

I print all the primary manuals, but keep some of the support manuals (that are nice to have but may never be needed) on a disk.

I have the original factory manuals for a couple of my tractors.

I think original paperwork is neat to have, for the equipment I have. Look how excited folks get when they bring home a 'score' and the PO has 'paperwork'. ;)

That being said, I have all pdf manuals on my wife's old Kindle, and keep it in the shop for reference.

I got a ton of manuals from a old closed simplicity dealer near me and I love them. I like using them way more than the Internet, it doesn't help that all I have is dial up Internet though:D

I have a few reprints for the powermax tractors and I like to have them around easier to look up things and looking at wire diagrams is a lot nicer when you have some half breeds around.

I like manuals for reference reading and studying. I like digital for archiving and nothing beats a printout to take to the shop... when it gets too greasy to read, it becomes fire starter and the printer kicks out another.

I buy the original manuals if I can find them reprints if I can't find originals and have hundreds of originals on various machines and engines.

Like the printed manuals for troubleshooting and electrical circuit work. Easier to look through a couple printed pages than scrolling on a computer screen. Easier to remember or tab a page for reference.

Our maintenance manuals for the aircraft are all going to the Interactive Electronic Technical Manual (IETM) format. Not able to get several printed manuals for a couple years, have to print out the work packages as needed.

^Dan, I usually try to get an original paper manual for all of my tractors and equipment. Nice to have and look at. Also download anything I can find so I guess I like both....Dave

I have three formats: Paper, Fiche, and Digital. Don't burn any AC manuals. They are always worth at least a couple bucks if not a fair bit more.

I like to have an original manual for every piece of equipment that I have around. Comes in very handy at times.....

I like to have the original paper owner's/operator's manuals to all my tractors and attachments. It's a lot easier for me to make adjustments when I can have the manual opened up on the hood.

quote:Originally posted by osenga

I pick them up when in can. Is that a hint your going to be selling some on here?

id="quote">
id="quote">I guess you could call it a hint.I'll come right out and say it, I will be selling them eventually, just trying to figure out how.I put a few on ebay for a week, didn't get much interest.Problem is, they are mostly for less collectible stuff I think, and I don't want to type up to 200 auctions, or 200 classifieds.And I don't want to have to search through them all to see if I have one for model xxx for every person that asks, if I use a general ad.What I'm thinking is making a list, and posting that, let people ask for specifics of whats on the list, that way I don't end up writing an ad and taking pictures of 40 or 50 items nobody wants.Clear as mud right?For example, I think I have an owners manual for most of the walk behind tillers, walk behind mowers, and walk behind snow blowers.I'm thinking those will be a pretty slim market.I'm also afraid, if I use one big list, it may go the other way and I'll get more PM's and Emails than I can keep up with for people trying to get "IT" before its gone.

I would say by the volume of replies, the answer to the original question is, "YES"!^

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

about real hard copy paper manuals anymore ??With all the available information on the computer, internet and floating around in thin air, does anyone look for original Owners manuals, parts manuals, or repair manuals ??Or are they just fire starter any more. :o

id="quote">
id="quote">

quote:Originally posted by broad728moor

I need a manual for a 5 horse roticul and one for a 4 horse snowaway:D

id="quote">
id="quote">Exactly...now which models numbers ???

Got them all sorted out. You can see the lists in the classifieds.

I guess with all these responses, they are worth keeping around.

Thanks guys.