Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

diesel

yukon

went on a road trip today and picked up a legacy with a 24 and a half diatsu engine runs great has 2045 hours on it . can anyone tell me is there anything i should look for, everything looks good,the guy i bought it off said a school owned it looks like almost a new deck he broke the deck belt on it so i need a new one it starts right up and has a little and i mean little puff of black smoke. heres some pics

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG.b78bcc5c942618f17027a6f7b43127ce.JPG

IMG_3411.JPG.8edee4c33c4824f617216d6997763bd6.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG.1962c256557847dd57362c0638a80bdd.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG.daeaf8b3d3c1b4294defb65d28b0f8e2.JPG

thanks josh, the sovereigns are getting hard to find i think its time to start looking at the legacys

A litle puff of black exhaust is/was common on many Diesel engines. Now with computer controlled systems, hardly anything is seen now on startup.

They make a variety of small turbos for little diesels...a fella I talked to a bit in the golf cart community put one on a small 10hp chinese diesel. He uses the cart to plow driveways now ;)

Dave, you are killing me with your finds in NW Ohio, here in NE Ohio there just aren't any buys anymore.

Nice score.

John U

thanks john, the guy didnt have a pic so i took a chance and it paid off but it was a three hour drive one way thats a long day.

quote:Originally posted by yukon

thanks john, the guy didnt have a pic so i took a chance and it paid off but it was a three hour drive one way thats a long day.

id="quote">
id="quote">UM,I think it was about 4 hours each way when I got the Sunstar from you. It's always an adventure, especially when you don't know what you will find at the end of the road!John U

They make a variety of small turbos for little diesels...a fella I talked to a bit in the golf cart community put one on a small 10hp chinese diesel. He uses the cart to plow driveways now ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's things to check on the Legacy, look at the PTO shaft that runs thru the axle, there is a grease fitting on the bottom of the axle keep that well lubed, Always clean the radiator screen while mowing, they clog and the temps start rising these Diahatsu/ Briggs don't do well once overheated,also the air cleaner needs to be kept clean, and the tube leading up to the firewall (?) needs to be kept in good condition, watch out that the deck chains don't wrap around the ends of the tubes that adjust deck leveling, best thing I've found is to get some wire loom cover that's 1 inch and cut a section to wrap around the 3 center links and zip tie in place, it's in the parts manual for a reference, Don't get the deck wet, or religiously clean out under the covers, or the wet grass will rust it out in no time, keep an eye on the clear tube behind the rear axle, it should show 1 1/2 inches in the tube for the transaxle, These are built like tanks and with the Kwikway loader are impressive little workers, best tractor I've ever owned!