Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simpli-dragon

Ughhh... BGB toasted

simpli-dragon

Well I got the BGB out of the tractor to see what was causing the play and it was far worse than I had expected :(

The gears and input shaft all need replaced along with of course bearings and seals.

At the cost for the parts I am wondering if I should look for a parts tractor, different tractor, or just repair the BGB($$$)? There is a used BGB on ebay right now but who knows what it will actually be like when it shows up at the door?

I've fallen in love with these little tractors while working on this one but now I feel like I'm up a creek...

Thanks for listening,

Todd

Tonyvdb

If everything needs replacing I think I would look to some of the members here that might have either a good BGB or one that might need just seals and bearings. You would be dealing with known good people that also like these old tractors and wants to help keep them running. Not that ebay is a bad place to shop, I do it all the time and have never been burned. That is my opinion others may feel different.

Rick3410

Someone here will probably be able to help you. Keep your eyes open for a parts tractor though. Who knows, as often is the case, the parts tractor may turn into your primary machine. For the most part, people do a pretty good job of describing their tractor parts on ebay. I've had good luck with the auction site.

GLPointon

What tractor model is yours...I have a couple BGB's as do other members I'm sure...I always ask here 1st then E-bay next...Good luck sm01

HubbardRA

I have gotten quite a few parts on ebay. I have only been burned a couple of times. I would go with members first, and if you have no luck, then turn to ebay.

I had a BGB go out, so I bought one from a fellow member and another from ebay for a spare. Both were in excellent condition. I now have a spare.

RayS

I probably have the parts. I know for sure I have the roller bearings new. More than likely the needle bearings and seals as well. Probably could come up with a set of gears and a good input shaft. If interested send me a PM.

simpli-dragon

Thanks for the offers everyone. I am going to look at a parts (or replacement) tractor this afternoon. It's the Big Ten in the classifieds. ^

Todd

powerking_one

Todd,

Since there was no mention of which model tractor this BGB failure was associated with, keep in mind that Simplicity changed the (much needed) re-design of the BGB from a 3/4" input shaft to a 7/8" one starting with the 33xx series around 1970. Hence the BGB housing is different from the original 725 through the 3212 3/4" input shaft versions and are NOT interchangable. BGB longevity with this newer design got much better as a result.

Tom (PK)

simpli-dragon

Sorry... it is a '65 Landlord.

Powerking... I did know about the change but wasn't sure of exactly when so big thanks for the details.

Todd

ReedS

Tom, just curious, could one use the later bgb with an earlier cross shaft or was that a different diameter too? Been a while since I've had a late model bgb in hand to see! I do realize the spiral bevel gears would not be a matching set due to the larger shaft size on the input shaft? Are the gears larger as a whole too? Like I said it's been a while!

RayS

No you could not use the late model bgb with the earlier cross shaft. Early gears are 3/4" bore the late models are 7/8" bore.

powerking_one

Reed,

I don't have a definative answer about whether taking a BGB input shaft 7/8" housing and retrofitting it to a 1st generation 3/4" one would work or not; never tried/done that. The output shaft sizes are still all the same (7/8"). The frame mounting bolt pattern for the BGB's are all the same to the best of my knowledge. You would at the least have to switch over to a 7/8" BGB drive yoke like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-Allis-Chalmers-bgb-to-driveshaft-drive-shaft-adapter-large-st-10331-/181158020231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2ddc0487#ht_634wt_722

Tom (PK)

simpli-dragon

Just wanted to thank Andy(aspeltz1) for a good deal on the Big Ten. It has a nice tight BGB and is a good complement of parts for the Landlord that I have. Now the question is do I build a yellow, or orange one in the end ?

The failure that I found and that I have read about on the forums is more related to neglect than sudden breakage. It looks like the early ones are heavy enough as long as you inspect them regularly to keep the lube full and replace leaking seals or loose bearings right away before they cause further damage. Those sintered(powdered) metal gears are hard as heck and if kept in alignment and gear lube, should last forever.

I have access to a shop where I could CNC and heat treat (for the needle bearings) custom output shafts to put into the late model BGB for the early model tractors. Would there be much interest? They would probably run around $100-150 but would have to actually make one to pin down the price.

Todd

RayS
quote:Originally posted by powerking_one

Reed,I don't have a definative answer about whether taking a BGB input shaft 7/8" housing and retrofitting it to a 1st generation 3/4" one would work or not; never tried/done that. The output shaft sizes are still all the same (7/8"). The frame mounting bolt pattern for the BGB's are all the same to the best of my knowledge. You would at the least have to switch over to a 7/8" BGB drive yoke like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-Allis-Chalmers-bgb-to-driveshaft-drive-shaft-adapter-large-st-10331-/181158020231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2ddc0487#ht_634wt_722Tom (PK)

id="quote">
id="quote">The left side of shaft is 7/8" where the pulley mounts but the bearing is still .787 inside bore on FTD and 7/8 or .875 inside dimension on RBT.The smaller bearings in a FDT`s outside diameter is 47 mm or 1.85039" and will not fit the BGB case on a RBT or vise versa.

powerking_one

Todd,

Per your comment:

"I have access to a shop where I could CNC and heat treat (for the needle bearings) custom output shafts to put into the late model BGB for the early model tractors. Would there be much interest? They would probably run around $100-150 but would have to actually make one to pin down the price."

I would seriously doubt there would be much interest in this mod/machining operation.

JMHO,

Tom (PK)

aspeltz1

Todd,

No problem. Now I can concentrate on getting my Bee 10 in good shape and adding attachments. Let me know if you don't have a need for the 1500 watt generator.