Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RickS

Yoke Rake

RickS

Given all the rain Maine has had (over 6 inches in a week) my driveway and private road are in bad shape. I have used a Dutch grader blade to help smooth out the road. As well as many hours of patching or filling in the wash outs with gravel. I was wondering if a yoke rake would work as well.

I have used a large (12 feet wide) york rake that I had to pull with my Explorer, but that is no longer available.

So who has a small york rake that is pulled behind a Simplicity tractor and how does it work.

Thanks

Rick.......

Talntedmrgreen

They work very well in loose stuff. The gravel I tried mine in was sorta fine and loose. If its hardpacked it will need loosened up.

CVSB10JCS

i was cheap and didnt want to buy one and instead had one made, i have about $400.00 in it. make sure you use a hydraluic lift tractor beucase picking it up by hard gets old fast

CVSB10JCS

also "YORK" rake and you need the grader blade that fits underneath and hooks where mower deck does. a YORK rake is used to pick up rocks like in a ballfield not to level a road

RickS

In the past when I used the large york rake I was able to get the tines to penetrate the road surface. When this happens I am able to fill the potholes and prevent them for reoccurring.

I also need the york rake to pull the road material out of the sides of the road and back onto the road surface. I have tried by Dutch / grader blade but for this task it does not work well.

For those of you who are not familiar withe the Dutch / grader blade it was a grader blade made by a member here. One edge of the grader is smooth, the other edge is serrated. I use the serrated edge and the blade works great.

Thanks

Rick.......