Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dkish

New member with some questions

dkish

Hello to everyone.

im new to this forum and this brand of tractors. im picking up a 1693407 simplicity sovereign with a broken rear axle. im also picking up a 7117 for parts for it. I looked up the rear axle for both models, and the axle part number is the same on both. am I correct to assume the trans as a whole will fit either tractor? they are both hydros and the newer one I want to repair has power steering. also, if this works out, I wont need the rest of the 7117 and it will be available. I live in northwest Indiana. thank you all in advance for your help!

Dave

CarlH

Welcome.

You are correct that the whole rear end will swap. You will need to move the pressure relief valves from the lift hydro to the non-lift hydro. Rod Hubbard has a post about this.

sliderxc

first welcome to the Looney bin I would down load the manual for that tractor from this web site and to answer your question nope its easier to swap rears and while your at it check the beveled gear housing to make sure it has no slop

rfsmith1952

Definitely easier to swap the whole rear. It is a learning experience either way. But there are only six bolts keeping the tractor in one piece. Of course there are linkages and lines and what not, but basically it's the six bolts around the BGB.

If you would rather change the axle and axle tube, club president Ray has a good thread and pix on that subject. Be careful with the differential. They are a pain.

Welcome to the club. These guys are good, regardless of your skill level. They will help you and they have the knowledge and skills to do so. Here's a good tip: Photos, photos, photos.

I am retired and these old tractors are my hobby, I have a lot of fun with them, and I urge you to have fun too!

Bob

bigten65

When you upload photo's to this site, make sure you down size them or they will not come through. Most of us had to learn that. Welcome to the club. You will get loads of help.

dkish

Thank you all for the help. I looked over the 7117 I bought for parts, and its in good shape except for a blown kohler flat twin. How hard is this engine to find? I almost hate to part it out. I'm a wheelhorse guy, but I sure do like the way these tractors are built. Man, my wifes gona kill me!

Tonyvdb

Engines for them are pretty easy to find, usually in a parts tractor, but then comes the problem, "humm this tractor is in pretty good shape maybe I'll just fix it up. The series II is the better one, more lubrication to the crank journals, but I have the older series and the series II and both go good and don't use any oil. You could also put any of the engines available in the 7100 series tractors. Lots of folks here prefer the briggs engines.