Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

date tractor by wheels?

Rick3410

Someone told me I could identify the year my tractor was made by the wheels. They said the date is stamped on the inside so you have to remove the tire to see it. Any truth to this? I have a 7016.

I've seen some or most of them dated, but not every one.

Also, I don't know how accurate it would be, I'm sure they bought thousands of wheels at a time so they may have sat in the manufacturers warehouse, then the Simplicity warehouse for some time before they hit the assembly lines.

Engine numbers will get you close too. Most engines are estimated to have been built roughly 6 months before the tractor was put together. wheels are most likely about the same I would think.

I don't know about the date stamp but I would tend to

believe that would tell when the wheel was made.

I have switched wheel around on different tractors

for at least 30 years and I couldn't tell you what

tractor they first came on.

I have rims if I remember correctly that were made by Firestone. They have a date and the star of David stamped into them.

If you look closely, you may find dates on a lot of items. For example, the plastic fuel tank in my newer Sovereign has a date on it (I forget the month and day, but the year is 99) and the original fuel line had a 1999 date stamped on it as well. May be more if I look more closely, but this matches well with the owners manual that came with it where the original owner had written a May 15, 2000 purchase date on the cover! I sold the Triad engine out of it so I have no way to date it any more.

On my older Sovereign, the engine has a date code of October of 1974 so I have always figured it was out on the dealer's floor for the spring 1975 season.

Makes sense. I used the engine number and a few frame differences to narrow the year for my 7016. The biggest problem with identification on these is the label with the model number. Any kind of repair or rework and they get scraped or peel and you loose the ID forever.

Parts are so interchangeable that I have never had a problem getting the needed parts. Just need to know the tractor number like 7016 and tranny type like shuttle or hydro. I have never needed the manufacturing date for anything. Simplicity didn't even use that date for a parts lookup.

That's for sure. Parts on these things can be interchanged on many, many models. That's probably one of the best things about these tractors. We can usually get what we need.