Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
laytonlight

Warm BGB

laytonlight

Well I finally got the replacement BGB in the Mutt (68 Landlord 2010). Had to wait for a starter for the Kohler Magnum to get here as the plastic or bakelite (sp?) that isolates the positive post inside it had disintegrated and it was dead shorting. Found that problem after reassembling everything. Automobile starters are cheaper!

No leaks that I can tell. Yet. Yaaa!. Just got done cutting some pretty tall grass and was checking it out for leaks, problems and was curious as to how warm the BGB box should be. It feels pretty warm. Not enough to cause blisters but definitely uncomfortable to keep your hand on it. Ambient temperature is 80F right now. 90 weight gear oil was put in it when assembled. Probably just being paranoid, but thought I'd ask if anyone has any knowledge about it.

RayS

80 degrees sounds fine to me. Blisters would be way above that. I bought a tractor once that whoever rebuilt the BGB forgot to put oil in it. It bent thecensored1.gifout of the driven shaft and stalled the tractor. You could pour water on it and it boiled. That cost $375.00 to fix.

laytonlight

Thanks for the input Ray. I just finished another section of lawn and it seems to be holding up fine. The 80 degrees I mentioned before was air temp. The BGB is certainly above that, but I figure that's why there's 90 weight oil in there. That's a lot of energy being converted in another direction and there's a load on both sides of the shaft, so I'm just going to keep an eye out for leaks and keep mowing. I'll be posting some photos of the change out of the BGB when I get a chance. It was made much more interesting by a steering wheel set screw that wouldn't budge. That and the fact that it's a Mutt with a Kohler repower in it and a variety of other year parts, etc. installed in it! I do know one thing: I wouldn't even attempt that repair without an impact wrench. Made things much easier all around. Note to self: Check the BGB fluids on any future tractor purchases! :o