Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
John_in_Oxford

Large Flojet Welch Plug Fix

John_in_Oxford

So, I'm mowing along today, and at some point, looked down at the carb, only to see the welch plug was gone.I know the "by-the-book" method - it failed. I know the RTV/epoxy/bailing wire tricks - but I wanted a more "serviceable" trick.It's called a "7/32x32 by 1-5/8" eye bolt. Daub a little bit of your favorite threadlocker/retaining compound on the threads, or hunt for a self-locking nut, or get real fancy-schmantzy and find a crown nut.Total outlay: $1.25, and that's for 2 - soz you can do your buddy's tractor and be a hero for 5 minutes!!!sm01

1-100_1043.jpg

1-100_1044.jpg

1-100_1045.jpg

1-100_1043.jpg.333812a16462a7054f58f8763dd1f441.jpg

1-100_1044.jpg.e55d465d9f89aeda122b168f73f06aec.jpg

1-100_1045.jpg.89ab4a0b6e85b362c606dfd9f02830a3.jpg

Talntedmrgreen
dOd Seems many share your plight...I've seen this install method on more than a handful of flojets. It works!

powerking_one

Hey John,

I was initially going to comment on this "mod" as thumbs down, but the more I looked at it the more my reasoning turned around to borderline brilliant. Going to various tractor/antique tractors shows over the last 45 years and seeing B&S large Flow-Jet carbs in various states with "rigged" Welch plug repairs, I think this one is a NASA class one. With a little Permatex #2 or other gas resistant sealer around the Welch cap edges and a Buna rubber washer underneath a locknut, I give this one now 2 thumbs up....sm01sm01

I bet even current/ex B&S engineers might approve.

Tom (PK)

BLT

Even tho they are more expensive and a thinner plug made to Briggs requirements, I set them with a golf ball and maybe finish the job with Seal-All. Never had a problem yet. Other Welch plugs are too thick, even the so called after market ones.

John_in_Oxford

Thanks for the comps guys.

Welch plugs, along with the original Lone Ranger are native to my community.

I'm just not going to stress a` 40 year old, well worn carburetor - if its decided to spit the old one out, I'm willing to compromise.

BTW, if you want to read the "Correct Method, vis-a-vis the originators, go here(I have breakfast every morning about 200 ft from their front door:D):

http://www.hubbardspring.com/install_reco.php?cid=45

EDIT: I guess I should throw in the "history bit":

http://www.britishcarweek.org/welch_plug.html

HubbardRA

I love the design. I would use a locking nut, either the crimped steel type or a nylon lock nut.

This makes it much easier to remove the plug to remove the screws if you need to fix a worn choke or throttle shaft.

JJ MARSHALL

here is what i use for welch plugs

welch plugs 001.JPG

welch plugs 002.JPG

welch plugs 003.JPG

pick these up at a radiator shopthey are use to plug the opening on new radiator when shippingthey fit the carb very well just push them in.JJ

57e05e8b03c10_welchplugs001.JPG.d2bae40ef80e20a1c692a9873fb4290f.JPG

57e05e8b18202_welchplugs002.JPG.714940408a81254bfec230456c9e20fc.JPG

57e05e8b29102_welchplugs003.JPG.bedc1a65be15521c22c799b41ae84a2e.JPG

timflury
quote:Originally posted by BLT

Even tho they are more expensive and a thinner plug made to Briggs requirements, I set them with a golf ball and maybe finish the job with Seal-All. Never had a problem yet. Other Welch plugs are too thick, even the so called after market ones.

id="quote">
id="quote">I've used Bob's method with success in the past. I've also heard and used fingernail polish to seal the plug after popping it with a hammer and golf ball.Closest thing I found in the medicine cabinet was purple nail polish. :D:Dsm00

JJ MARSHALL

you don;t have to have any thing to help hold them on. the ones that Iposted fit very.good and tight. but they easy to remove

they just push right in.

Didn't have the work you did.

JJ

JJ