Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

coil / plug wire

DMKNLD

I replaced my ignition coil on my 7114 K321, (which had 60K of resistance), with a new NAPA coil, but they didn't have the single plug to coil wire to replace my old one, which has 1 ohm of resistance. I read somewhere on this forum that if your plug wire has more than 6000 or less than 4000 ohms of resistance to replace it - is that correct, and if so, do I need to make my own w/ new wire and splice on new connections?

The lower the resistance the better. It just means that the high voltage has less slowing it down. Check to see if you have good spark at the plug. If you do, you should be fine. You should keep the coil to plug wire as short as reasonably possible keeping the wire free from direct contact with the engine.

If you are using resistance wire, the longer the wire is, the higher the resistance. Keep the wire as short as possible. A tractor should run fine with 5000 ohms of resistance or less. You usually see that in about 18-24 inches of wire. I have a roll of solid core wire that I bought years ago, so mine have 0 resistance.

From Popular Mechanics:

....A conventional plug wire has a resistance of 10,000 to 15,000 ohms per foot of length--if it's measurably higher, the wire probably is bad. An absolutely failed wire will have a hairline break somewhere, and the resistance will be infinity.

Read more: Replacing Spark Plug Wires - Popular Mechanics

Follow us: @PopMech on Twitter | popularmechanics on Facebook

Visit us at PopularMechanics.com

either Popular Mechanics has completely fallen out of the norm or it is viewed as the gospel... wow....

does anyone still get Popular Mechanics... it was a staple in my house growing up

Chris, I was going to take exception to the numbers, because what I have seen from experience has been 1/3 to 1/2 of the resistance you quoted. Didn't see a reason, because as long as the resistance is between 1000 and about 25000 ohms, the plug should fire OK.

quote:Originally posted by HubbardRA

Chris, I was going to take exception to the numbers, because what I have seen from experience has been 1/3 to 1/2 of the resistance you quoted. Didn't see a reason, because as long as the resistance is between 1000 and about 25000 ohms, the plug should fire OK.

id="quote">
id="quote">no issue there.. .it seemed to me your #s are correctI was just posting PM's stuff... and your #'s still are correct...when we are talking K Ohm... whats a few K Ohms between friends..... really... when it works it works... I think when you get to (INF) and she doesn't fire ... yup... you found it :)

Set the scale for 50K ohm and if you get a reading, then the wire is OK. LOL

Numbers don't really matter. Just need to be in the usable range.