Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
damon91

simplicity powder orange paint

damon91

I am in the process of experimenting with colors for my 2010. I tried the ace orange which is good. I just ordered a can of the simplicity powder orange spray paint to try. does anyone know what kind or brand of primer i should use with this paint so they will be compatible.

Thanks

Damon

John_in_Oxford
quote:Originally posted by RayS

That is interesting. Three months ago that paint was NLA when I checked. If using spray cans, any of the gray or red oxide primers in a can. Self etching in a can will work as well.http://www.sepw.com/simplicity-touch-up-paint.aspx?CategoryID=147

id="quote">
id="quote">Excellent link. So it's available - but only if your last name is Rockefeller...sm06

RayS
quote:Originally posted by ronin70

so would the "cardinal red" be the right paint for pre 1970 machines?

id="quote">
id="quote">No,Cardinal Red is for Express Tractors and Massey Ferguson equipment.

RayS

I wonder how many spray cans it takes to paint a tractor? Seems to me it would get expensive quick. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a couple of quarts, but then you need an air compressor. The paint gun at Harbor Freight is cheaper than what they want for the spray can and works well.

Gordan

Would an AGCO Allis Sovereign be the same orange as a Simplicity Sovereign from the same period?

Also... anyone have a good method for getting cloudy/hazy whitish stains, caused by being covered by a tarp, from the paint on these tractors?

rokon2813
quote:Originally posted by RayS

I wonder how many spray cans it takes to paint a tractor? Seems to me it would get expensive quick. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a couple of quarts, but then you need an air compressor. The paint gun at Harbor Freight is cheaper than what they want for the spray can and works well.

id="quote">
id="quote">It's been a couple years, but I seem to remember close to 25 for a B10, including the yellow, 2 almond, 2 white, 2 black, 1 clear, 1 silver and 1 hi temp black

RayS

No, it isn`t the same paint or color for a AGCO Allis - Sovereign. You need Deep Orange.

Deep Orange Paint, 1 qt. 1685612

Deep Orange Spray Paint, 13 oz. Can 1685611

ReedS

Well I for one wish there was a true paint code for the early 60's tractors. I used an orange from a dodge to redo a fuel tank and hydro pump for one of my tractors a couple of years ago and it matched quite well but the early tractors seem to be a bit redder than the later ones!

perry

the chevy engine orange #1607 is the best match in a spray can for the pre-70's tractors. I recently payed $5.50 a can at advanced auto parts store.

130379950-400x440-0-0_duplicolor+dupli+color+de1607+ceramic+chevrolet+or.jpg

GLPointon

I can say that I am hooked on that Dupli-color Engine enamal paint line...I got some hi-temp black for 2 engines and it applies so nice, dries quick, looks great...So now that is all I use for my black; Gloss, Semi-gloss & hi temp paint needs. I still like the Rustoleum & Ace Enamals for the body colors but ?on another note I use about 3 blacks, 8 primers, 6-8 colors, 1 silver/metalllic, 2 clear for my tractor restos on average, so Dan's 25 can count was right on the money...so I'm slowly converting to HVLP gun paints. Cheaper by the Qt $

quote:Originally posted by perry

the chevy engine orange #1607 is the best match in a spray can for the pre-70's tractors. I recently payed $5.50 a can at advanced auto parts store.

130379950-400x440-0-0_duplicolor+dupli+color+de1607+ceramic+chevrolet+or.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">

damon91

The way I look at paint is the way I look at car tires. you get what you pay for... I dont want to ever have to paint this thing again, or put all the work into painting it and the paint not hold up. If I like the way it looks when I try it, the expense is worth it. Thats the way I feel at least.

Talntedmrgreen

I agree w/Dan's count on paint cans, and Ray's suggestion to use a gun and pints instead 8D I'll never do another with rattle cans...just the occasional touchup. Much happier with spray gun results.