Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ooops! Todays Green C.L. Find .

fishnwiz

I know, I know...It ain't ORANGE. Sorry if I offend anyone with the green machine! Found this 1958 7hp tractor a few days ago on C.L. and it finally went down to a price I thought was fair... but hey, what do I know about Bolens machines??? NOTHING! I hope that I did not get taken at 250.00 dollars as I do not know much of anything about these other than I always liked the look of them and I did not own anything this old until today. Nobody can say I don't give all different makes of tractors a home in my collection!;) I manage to score all of the original paper work for the machine and the tractor appears to be mostly original other than a poor repaint of the engine (Engine swap?) and a missing side screen on the pulley side. I have NOT heard it run (:o) but am hoping on a good running engine per the 2nd owner who had it for 15 years. I do have the front mount PTO and tiller and drive shaft along with a front plow blade but no deck but that's ok as I was not going to cut with it anyways. I feel I am going to keep this tractor old school, as found and may try to clean a little oil and maybe get a closer engine color match and age it to look the same as the rest of the tractor and thats about it. Any closet Bolens guys who can shed a little light (good or bad)on my find?Thanks Mark

IMG_0001_11.jpg

IMG_0001_26.jpg

IMG_0001_27.jpg

IMG_0001_11.jpg.20c51aee603e63b0609bc58548292466.jpg

IMG_0001_26.jpg.8881308f435b5545796a39433b7470b3.jpg

IMG_0001_27.jpg.c2f70ad01dbf2ab13f7b6855d22857a2.jpg

Looks like a nice find to me and keeps it with someone that will take good care of it, I've always like the looks of Bolens.

Wasn't that tractor made in Port Washington???

Me?? I would hose it down, lube it, get it running right, and USE it. There's a reason the engine was painted, or was it a repower???

All the patina on that looks AMAZING!!!

Nice find Mark!!dOddOd

I've always like those early Bolens with the cast fronts. Very cool...looks a LOT better than most originals I've seen.

I like it. Nice save. I look at it as saving a piece of history. At least it won't get scrapped now. I think you did alright on the price, especially if it runs and you can make that tiller work. dOd

I watched an older repaint of the same tractor with blade and mower deck bring more than that at auction just recently so I'd say you did just fine with that tiller attachment.;) I personally prefer preserving such a beast, they are only original once. Clean it up, get it running, and have fun with the fact that it's probably the only one in the neighborhood.8D Nice find.

quote:Originally posted by timflury

Wasn't that tractor made in Port Washington???Me?? I would hose it down, lube it, get it running right, and USE it. There's a reason the engine was painted, or was it a repower???All the patina on that looks AMAZING!!!Nice find Mark!!dOddOd

id="quote">
id="quote"> Tim....You are correct sir! It was build by Gilson in Port Washington!! So I guess it's ok that I post it on this site after all!:D You are most likely correct on the repower but at least the engine model number is correct and the 7 hp engine matchs the stock engine. I can see some red/orange paint on the backside of the engine so it was swapped out somewhere along the way.

Oh boy that looks like a lot of fun. You can't kill those old kohlers:D That looks like an awesome project. Great finddOd

I am VERY loyal to our brands but...That is COOL 8D I think I may of bought it too. Sounded a bit pricey to me until I saw the Plow & Tiller...I like the rugged look of the cast front and the spring seat.

Awesome machine dOd

I thought Bolens were blue?? but I know nothing of other brands

Thanks for the info TIM...very interesting. I would love to see a 1920's garden tractor up close.

Good news for me,

I had a Bolens expert over today to check out my tractor and was told by him that the tractor is pure original and no motor has been swapped out or replaced. The original serial number from the original tractor was written in the owners manual and matches the one on the tractor. The reddish/ orange colored paint is primer that was used on the original engines. Not that it rally matters to me as I am leaving it as is but I do like pure stock OEM!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• PhanDad
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts