Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front Wheel Removal

aspeltz1

I am planning on changing out my front wheels and tires on my B 10 to the larger ones like the B 12. There is a cap that needs to be removed in order to slide the wheel off. Is there a trick to getting that cap off?

quote:Originally posted by Rick3410

I use a rag under large channel locks. Takes them off easily without marking them up.

id="quote">
id="quote">LOL - Are you sure that's necessary? Mine seems to have the talent of removing themselves - in the shed - at nite - when I'm not looking. No evidence of tools the next day either.}:)}:)}:)

Back in the "golden years/day", there was a tool specifically designed to remove these bearing/grease caps.

I guess one would have to be removing them muliple times a day on repair jobs to justify having a set of these pliers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-GREASE-DUST-CAP-REMOVER-GCP10-tool-bearing-puller-extractor-/400524427055?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5d411dbf2f&vxp=mtr#ht_433wt_681

Tom(PK)

The two on my spare axle came off real easy. The two on my tractor were a PITA and took a claw hammer, a couple hours, and plenty of cussing. Of course now I stripped one of the set screws on the collar after a few hours of PB and attempting to loosen. So, right now it has one skinny tire and one fat tire. Any ideas on how to get that collar loose.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

I use a framing hammer (straight claws) or a seal puller.

id="quote">
id="quote">I use 2 claw hammers . one set of claws under the cap lip and other to hit the hammer head. works great and just work it off evenly.

quote:Originally posted by aspeltz1

Any ideas on how to get that collar loose.

id="quote">
id="quote">cut the coller off and use one of your other spares. or if you have a extra rim swap out the whole spindle for now.

The caps are easy to remove on the skinny tires. Wait until you have to remove them with fat tires. They are recessed further and harder to get at. LOL Bob

quote:Originally posted by B10Dave

:D:D Tom; every auto mechanic worth his salt has a pair in his toolbox.^^...Dave

id="quote">
id="quote">I had a pair of those , but they grew legs at the last garage i worked at. I should get some new ones ;)

I'll try cutting the collar off unless the spindle comes off easily. Is it just two set screws holding it together or is there more to it than that.