Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

landlord DLX question

peterinbrooklyn

how many amps is the pto clutch supposed to be pulling? ive replaced the voltage reg and stator on my 20hp vanguard and im thinking the only thing left is the pto clutch...the pto switch and battery are new...I can mow like 3 times (1hr total mowing time) and then the 4th time to mow the battery is dead

It sounds to me like its not re-charging the battery. Ck the batt voltage at rest, and while the engine with no load, and while it's running with a load, like a light or the e/clutch.

A charged battery should be just over 12v

Voltage at the battery should be over 14v while running w/"no load" and should stay up there "with a load" if the engine speed is high enough and the regulator, wiring, connections, battery are all good. If the voltage is low (12 or less) then the charging system is not working correctly. Then I would Ohm the windings to make sure its not "open" and go from there...Good luck sm01

ps...these methods I use for trucks but I think a tractor should be the same.

with the tractor at full throttle and the pto engaged its charging at 12.86v with the pto not engaged its charging at 13.96ish

I seem to recall the amp draw from the PTO is around 4 amps.

But I agree with the others, it sounds like a charging problem.

Sounds like a charging problem. Make sure you connected the voltage regulator properly as this controls the charge on your battery. Then, put a voltmeter on the battery when the engine is running and look for somewhere over 13.5 volts on the terminals. Turn you headlights on (if you have them) and see if you're still over 13 volts on your battery. If you are, your charging system is working properly. Engage the PTO again (with headlights on) and you should still see over 13 volts. If you do, the charging system is working. At this stage, I would suspect a bad battery. Please note, when you do this, voltages are approximate (higher will be better).

Did this trbl start before or after the new battery? A new battery can be faulty, if the plates touch from vibration it will kill the voltage and can damage the charging system. Try another...or if it was before this batt then I would do the basics; Make SURE the regulator is connctd properly, and with the engine at med speed and the pto on you should have >12v. That is if the batt was full charge b4 starting. if its not then swap the reg.

good luck