Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
toomanytractors

trailer question

toomanytractors

Can someone tell me for sure if the Snowbee trailer sold thru Allis Chalmers was made by Snowco in Omaha Ne. I've located one that looks exactly like the photos I've seen and has the model ID of UTL 48. The original paint is a light green color and it has a hand winch bolted to the front bulkhead. ID 6ag lists Snowco as the manufacturer.

timflury

Yes. The Snow Corporation built trailers for all the major garden tractor makers in the 60's.Mine happens to have an Allis Chalmers tag on it.

Tow%20Bee%201.jpg

Tow%20Bee%202.jpg

toomanytractors

Thank's Tim. The winch looks the same and yours appears to have some parts missing from the front latch. Also, I think the fenders on the one I found are rounded rather than squared off. Older perhaps? Any ideas on value?

timflury

I'm guessing the fenders on mine were changed, I haven't seen wide tires on anyone elses trailer.

Tow%20Bee%204.jpg

There's a lever and pin that holds the trailer down. That hole and tab seems to be extra, maybe to tie down something.I really screwed up, or uncovered more serious issues on the trailer today trying to fix a different problem.I'll start a new thread on that toward the end of the weekend.

toomanytractors

OK, an update: I stopped this morning and took a closer look but this thing is rusted so badly I don't even want to consider it. It would have to have all new cross members and side rails fabricated and installed. I have the equipment and know how but with the old arthritis and back trouble it's just not something I want to get into. The fenders on this one are rounded....perhaps by spec of different customers? The front latch for the tilt is intact and complete except for being rusted solid. Asking price was $175.00, maybe a fair price and a worthy project but I just can't do it.