Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mbinwi

Starter / generator

mbinwi

Could someone please refresh my memory on which terminals to jump to re-polarize a S/G ?

I've been searching on here, with no luck. I know I've read it in here, just can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Mike.

Rick3410

After you connect everything and BEFORE you try to start the motor, take a wire or screwdriver and momentarily short between GEN and BAT on the regulator. Don't worry about the spark. Just short it until you see the spark and you're done. The system is now polarized. That's all there is to it.

mbinwi

Thanks Ray and Rick. I printed it this time. I changed the ignition switch on one of my 738's, and noticed nothing happening on the ammeter, so I'm thinking I need to re-polarize.

Thanks again,

Mike.

midnightpumpkin

As soon as you hit the start switch, the SG will be polarized. There is no need to go through a polarization process.

John U

powerking_one

John has this right; there is no need to flash the field coil(s) on a S/G unlike a generator only device since the heavy wound starter field coil is connected in series with the armature it thus will instantly magnetize the pole shoes when the "A" terminal is energized.

I'm not so sure this little trinket of advice is wise:

"After you connect everything and BEFORE you try to start the motor, take a wire or screwdriver and momentarily short between GEN and BAT on the regulator. Don't worry about the spark. Just short it until you see the spark and you're done. The system is now polarized. That's all there is to it."

Tom (PK)

mbinwi

Everything is working fine. Apparently it has been charging all along, as while I was working on the mower deck, I hooked up the battery charger, and it was at a full charge.

Thanks again guys.

Mike.