Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CL Find...any redeeming qualities?

rich_kildow

http://northernwi.craigslist.org/grd/3931485476.html

First off, what is it? I'm new to this game and can tell its a large frame RBT with what appears to be the same cast single as my 7116, at least by the filter and carb. I'm not sure I'm even correct on that since the exhaust hole is on the wrong side.

The paint is awful despite the owner calling it "snazzy." Appears to have a dented hood, a bent running board, missing PTO lever, and who knows what else. I have to head that way this week anyways and figure if I can get it for less it would be worth the BGB, rear end and engine. Any thoughts?

3400/7000 series, probably a Landlord. If you can get around the paint, and it runs out decent, probably worth the asking price.

I vote for a 3416 because I can see the extra clamping lever on the hydro control lever. Only Vickers hydros had them.

The Vickers pintle shaft can weep; but IMO, they operate smoother than the newer Sundstrands.

If doesn`t have a deck and runs good. I am thinking $150 to $200. It will cost you a bunch to get it to look presentable. If the BGB is loose or the Vickers leaks. I would run to the truck.

The early 7000 series tractors did come with a vickers. So without other clues the best you can state is it is a 3400 or a 7000 series tractor.

Rick........

looks like a 3400 series decal on the hood under that what ever paint. I wonder what the C clamp is below the carb is for.

Definitely check the BGB, look for the Vickers leaking and check those rear axles. As far as the paint goes, well, at least it paint and not rust. If this runs OK, probably worth close to the price. I'd offer less just because of what he did to the paint!

quote:Originally posted by Marty-MN

I wonder what the C clamp is below the carb is for.

id="quote">
id="quote">Gotta be the fuel shutoff valve. :D

With all of the options out there, and with a little patience, I would save my 300 bux for a better opportunity. If it were me, that tractor is a $150 at the very most. JMHO

Keep lookin...you dont know here that thing has been or if they washed their hands when they were done.....:Q

I'm going to pass since it's a vickers and won't provide all the many parts for my 7116, which was the goal. I'm saving my pennies for a Sunstar-type tractor (or bigger...don't know what yet) at some point and 2-300 would go much better towards that than it would another project.