Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mbinwi

Lesson learned about belts.

mbinwi

While putting together one of my 738's so my son would have lawn mower to use, we re-used a broke tension spring, and used a belt from TS, one of those green colored ones.

The spring broke, again, so I dropped the deck, took the covers off, and the whole thing was packed full of what looked like dryer lint, and that TS belt was about 1/2 it's original size. It was packed so full around the tension/idler pulley, it would hardly move ! I learned.....went to my local Simplicity dealer, bought the correct OEM spring, and OEM belt. I have the drive belt (motor to deck) on order.

All is good, once again.

Mike.

steve-wis

Seems you get what you pay for in belts. I have used the ones from Fleet Farm here in Wisconsin, about half price, last about half as long.

BLT

Make sure your tension pulley on cross drive rides free. It has to be in constant motion when running. That cost me a belt at one time.