Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

One more lesson, about corn oil gas.

mbinwi

OK, so this is not a tractor, but, My neighbor pushed her Chinese made scooter over, and asked if I could help her get it running again, so she could use it to drive to her daily job at a local factory. It has been sitting for 3 years in her garage with, yep, the dreaded corn oil gas still in the tank and the carb. I spent the day cleaning the complete fuel system, carb, lines, new filter, and tank. The tank was worse than some of the old tractors I've fixed, close to buying a new one. I gave it a couple treatments with acetone and clean pea gravel, and a "whole lotta shakin" until I got clear results, then went after the "corn jelly" that had filled the carb. End result? a motor that idles and purrs just right, and a scooter that runs like new. I also replaced the plug (took some searching to find the right one), changed the oil, and air filter.

I know, it's not a tractor, but what I have learned fixing classic yard tractors, also can carry over to other machines, all though I did have to break out the metric wrenches and sockets, which made me appreciate the Simplicity's even more, as we all know that a hand full of "regular" wrenches can take a Simplicity tractor completely apart.

Mike.

The new gas aint good at all, but leaving something sit with it in it aint much better. Better run it atleast onces a month. Our Farmall 560 is having a lot of problems right now from sittin with out getting started for awhile.

quote:Originally posted by SimplicitySwede

The new gas aint good at all, but leaving something sit with it in it aint much better. Better run it atleast onces a month. Our Farmall 560 is having a lot of problems right now from sittin with out getting started for awhile.

id="quote">
id="quote">IMO, Swede, you identified the underlying problem here ( the modern formulation of the gasoline) it has nothing to do with the ethanol content in it. In fact ethanol is a fairly good tank cleaner....JMHSAO...

Just to set the record straight-- the bigger John Deeres are still done in Horicon, WI and the lawn tractors are assembled in Tennessee.

I thought all the John Deeres above the HD stuff was done at Horicon but I saw someone made a statement about the 300-500 being assembled somewhere else.

If I had to work all day with metric wrenches, they would have to pay me by the mile running back to the tool box to get the right size.

I now just grab a handful to make sure I have the right ones.

I remember when they first came out with ethanol they would

tell people they would have to change there fuel filters

often because ethanol would be cleaning the moisture and

residue out of your tank.

What was really happening, it was cleaning the moisture and gunk

out of the underground tanks that have been there for years, and

pumping it into your cars.

That's when Standard Oil put the so called final filter on there

gas pumps.

Don't forget, many of the big Deere's are made in Waterloo, IA. I've stated my opinions on ethanol gas in any engine. Will continue to burn it in everything I own.

B110guy

I'm with the "alcohol is a darned good solvent" crowd.

We lost power here - just came back at`1:30 AM today. There sits the generator - nobody bothered to look at it for a year (since the last outage), in a hot/cold/hot/cold garage. Tank is full - so, lets pull on the recoil until our arms are shot - then curse - then call up DTE and curse at them awhile too.

So, I turn the fuel on, slide the choke over, and PULL - 1, 2, 3 times - rest, then 2 more times - NOTHING!

"What's the black knob" I think to myself - "ah yes, the kill switch" the invisible laughing monkey says.

It's not marked" I say. The invisible laughing monkey says "really? are you so stingy with your pulls that you won't twist it the OTHER WAY and see what happens?"

"Oh, alright - but it won't work - just a fools errand" This I mutter as I twist the knob, pull - and it starts instantly. Rotten alcohol gas and all - it starts and runs flawlessly all evening.

The invisible laughing monkey could be heard clear over at my neighbors yard.

That scooter would have had fuel system problems with what ever gas had sat in it for 3 years. Just another cheap (and inaccurate) shot at E10.

quote:Originally posted by B110guy

Don't forget, many of the big Deere's are made in Waterloo, IA. I've stated my opinions on ethanol gas in any engine. Will continue to burn it in everything I own.B110guy

id="quote">
id="quote">I can't hardly forget Deere John, Most of my friends work thereit's 7 miles from my house.:D

quote:Originally posted by Willy

I remember when they first came out with ethanol they would tell people they would have to change there fuel filters often because ethanol would be cleaning the moisture andresidue out of your tank.What was really happening, it was cleaning the moisture and gunkout of the underground tanks that have been there for years, andpumping it into your cars.That's when Standard Oil put the so called final filter on theregas pumps.

id="quote">
id="quote">Same thing when the new low sulfur diesel fuel was mandated. I was hauling fuel at the time and before the change I could always see the bottom of the tank on my truck. After the change the fuel was so cloudy I could only see about a foot deep. After several months the fuel started to clear up. Of course the farm community was complaining the whole time because of the VERY frequent filter changes. Their filters caught all the crap from the pipeline, right down to their to their farm barrel and everything in between.Ken