Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Diesel tractor questions.

fishnwiz

I have my 7790 that I purchased late last year. I am having a hard time getting seat time on this tractor and have concerns about the lack of use and the fuel. I don,t want the fuel sitting for an extended period of time yet I do not want to run the tank dry. What are my options and what should I watch out for because of the lack of run time on this engine?

Thanks .

Mine would set 3 or 4 months at a time. I had no fuel related issues. Because of it not getting much use and lack of space. I found it a happy camper.

Diesel fuel doesn't have the same issues as gasoline. We let diesel farm tractors sit all winter without being started and in the spring they start right up and don't have fuel related problems.

Mine has sat for a couple of months when we're traveling. No problems. There are stories about an algae that can grow in diesel fuel tanks, but there are conditioners available for that. I've never had first hand experience with that, however, and know of a lot of diesel farm equipment (combines) that sits for 10 months of the year without problems.

The algae makes what looks like a black slime in the bottom of the tank.

Condensation can be another problem but shouldn't be in a few months.

Other than that, if it still smells like diesel, burn it. LOL

My brother bought his house I think 11 years ago. There was a fuel oil furnace in the garage, that didn't work. There was a tank, outside, behind the garage 1/2 full. So how old was the fuel ?? 11 years plus how many ???.

Last winter he decided to get rid of the tank, (preparing to sell the house), and asked me to help get rid of 140 gallons of fuel. First, we drained about 10 gallons of water off the bottom, then at the end about 5 gallons with so much sludge it was about as thick as motor oil.

Other than the black sludge plugging up my filter, it burnt fine in my house, and my salamander heater in the garage, no excessive smoke, no more smell than normal (from the salamander)

It would be best over an extended period of time that the tank be full when stored. That little bit of air space in the tank won't attract much condensation.

I've worked with farm equipment and heavy trucks for over 20 years and if you keep the tank full you will be ok. The black slime grows in the thin layer between the water and fuel.

In my large diesel tractor that I don't use much, I was having trouble with a gray / black slime that plugged the fuel tank screen every year or two. A diesel engine dealer sold me some biocide to add to the fuel and I have had no trouble since.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

I found it a happy camper.

id="quote">
id="quote">It runs at least once a week now ;) I even had to put fuel in it once...can't remember when, it was so long ago &:) They sure sip fuel...

Mark, whatever you do, don't start up engine just for the sake of satrt up. Put it to work. Diesel engines don't like cuddling. After some point in time you will get a black ooze trickling out of exhaust joints. Making it work and heat up will eliminate that.

When I have been running it, I have been doing laps around the neighborhood and trying to get it up to temp which would not be all that hard today with the temps we have going}:). Thanks for all of the advice.

I really hate to part with this tractor but may trade it one day for some other form of yellow or orange!;)

Hey Fishnwiz,

My Marine Mechanic neighbor has recommended the StarTron Enzyme Treatment for both my gas and diesel machines.

The gas version has worked really well in my vette which has been sitting for 4 years and still starts right up (E-10 Fuel)

I use the Diesel version in my Miller 350 Pro welder-generator (26 hp Kubota) and have had zero issues over the past 7 years, this machine typically runs once a year when we get hit with a hurricane.

My 2 cents, please value accordingly.