Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

712H--MUFFLER?

ctbow58

I just bought an early AC 712H and it needs a new muffler, i dont think i can get a OEM muffler, so any ideals of what i could put on it?? thanks Tom

Your only options are eBay, Craigslist and the classifieds here. Unless you can find a dealer that has a NOS muffler or used.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

Your only options are eBay, Craigslist and the classifieds here. Unless you can find a dealer that has a NOS muffler or used.

id="quote">
id="quote">thats what i thought, i thought maybe someone had figured out a way to put a "can type muffler" on a 700 series without cutting the hood. but thanks anyway.

You can put a can muffler on if you have a Briggs. Which I doubt you do unless the AC was repowered. Maybe able to with a Kohler. I have done it with the single cylinder Briggs. I never owned a single cylinder Kohler to try it. So it would depend where the exhaust port is in relation to the hood. At least there would be less heat under the hood.

The originals show up all the time on eBay. There isn`t any on there now because I checked before I responded the first time.

Ray, I think all the Kohlers have an elbow to direct the muffler to the side. I have only looked at about 4 of them....

Assuming Kohler:

im not sure it would work for you but you could try the aftermarket Cub Nelson mufflers... it would mimic the 300 design with a little bracket creativity...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MUFFLER-FOR-CUB-CADET-GARDEN-TRACTOR-KOHLER-/190772118475?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6ae783cb

or this if you need front discharge:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unused-Nelson-Muffler-Silencer-372-Small-Engine-/390618678875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af2b0065b

quote:Originally posted by RayS

You can put a can muffler on if you have a Briggs. Which I doubt you do unless the AC was repowered. Maybe able to with a Kohler. I have done it with the single cylinder Briggs. I never owned a single cylinder Kohler to try it. So it would depend where the exhaust port is in relation to the hood. At least there would be less heat under the hood.The originals show up all the time on eBay. There isn`t any on there now because I checked before I responded the first time.

id="quote">
id="quote">yes you can do it easy on a B&S i have a SIMP. 7016 that i put one on, but the Kohler does not have enough room between the hood and the air cleaner