Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

High Lift Blades - Anyone Use Them?

leeave96

Once I get my Landlord DXL going, after some shake down time, if all goes well, I will start replacing belts, fuel line, filters, etc.

One of the things I need to do is replace the deck blades as they look pretty worn, i.e. repeatedly sharpened.

I've got a MTD Cub Cadet lawn tractor and it has what amounts to high lift blades and the air velocity coming out from under the deck is the best I've ever seen on a riding mower/garden tractor. I can mow in heavy, tall and wet grass - hardly, if ever, get any windrowing.

I see that Simplicity offers high lift blades for their 50 inch deck (which is the one I have). Question is - anyone using these or is it overkill and unnecessary? I think the price is a couple $'s difference.

Another quick blade question. The engine bay and frame underneath the tractor - forward of the deck is PACKED with grass clippings. My Dad's Prestige had a severe grass blow out from the left side of the deck - covering his tractor with grass clippings and loading up the underside of the tractor forward of the engine - not unlike this Landlord I've got. He got an anti-blowout kit and that brought the front lip of the deck down even with the rest of the deck and the blow out pretty much went away.

Question is - with or without high lift blades, for those of you that have the 50 inch deck, do you get a lot of blow out on the front left side of your deck and is it worse with the high lift blades.

Thanks!

Bill