Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917H Restore (done)

RayS

DSCF2823.JPG

DSCF2824.JPG

DSCF2825.JPG

Drop off some parts to have sandblasted this week to start my restore.

DSCF2827.JPG

Hood sanded and ready for primer.

DSCF2828.JPG

Got the frame primed and most of other parts as well. This is going to take awhile, but the fun begins.

DSCF2823.JPG.fa179491ec51ad8bdbc9336d7be5b988.JPG

DSCF2824.JPG.4acf35519b05fd8b912bea14630442a2.JPG

DSCF2825.JPG.e12f336bb24d2dbba820a019b6eb2932.JPG

DSCF2827.JPG.3a80141ef0f28a9f3f25a212d76625f8.JPG

DSCF2828.JPG.7010c926130495c091d6833e2dc8a39c.JPG

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RayS

• Talntedmrgreen

• Brettw

• GLPointon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dOddOd Ray; nice that you found a sand blaster who can do sheet metal without warping it. Good start on your project....Dave

quote:Originally posted by B10Dave

dOddOd Ray; nice that you found a sand blaster who can do sheet metal without warping it. Good start on your project....Dave

id="quote">
id="quote">Dave, the guy does nice work, but he may have done his last hood and seat pan for me. He is a good friend of mine that is a manager of the business. The rough texture is alright on the thicker heavier parts. The primer levels out on the second coat. Which I guess is ok, because it seems like I have to do things two or three times to get it right. If it isn`t a run or dust a bug always seem to want to be on display. The place that I use to use did excellent work as well but higher priced but well worth the money. Everything they did was a smooth surface when they were through. They say they use Lake Michigan beach sand. hoods and seat pans will go there from now on. I just think they know what an air pressure regulator is meant for.

Very nice Ray...and awesome blasting. I think the primer gets more grip on blasted metal vs just sanded. Cant wait to see it progress sm01

917res.jpg

Frame is painted. Spent a hour or so this morning resanding hood to put the final coat on. Started painting and all going well and then the entrance door blew open. Dust and dirt got into the paint before I got finished and I get to start all over again on the top of the hood. I will get it cleaned up and paint the hood outside like the rest of the parts. To much effort to try to do this in the garage. I did do the under side of the hood. So I will mask that off and reshoot the top. It is amazing how when you go out of your way to get the focal point right, I always have to redo it several times. I never get runs, dirt or dust in the parts that you don`t see.:D This maybe my last restore8C.

917res.jpg.859b4e152c0cc0706fd68a23dc26cced.jpg

quote:

It is amazing how when you go out of your way to get the focal point right, I always have to redo it several times. I never get runs, dirt or dust in the parts that you don`t see.:D This maybe my last restore8C.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Only thing I hate about a resto. Everyone says,"You did a great job." Ya but I know where the imperfections are.

Looks great to me! I use to have a bead blaster Shop that did great work but closed down recently,I'm looking in my area now. A good sandblasting service is a must.

hood917.jpg

hood7171.jpg

hood917h2.jpg

Just finished 3rd attempt on hood. Took it out in the yard and it turned out great. No Bugs or dirt.

hood917.jpg.4d938196e24140049deb5a35fb29b884.jpg

hood7171.jpg.a45714e7d65c63ecc5eda95cddd1a571.jpg

hood917h2.jpg.48d0f0e874ecc3e6da07bbefdefe0f32.jpg

I like it, but...

I'm getting the impression there are NOT supposed to be bugs in it ?}:)

Nice job Ray...I love how the AC orange really pops in the sun.

Painting outdoors??? If I try that it will begin to storm sm00

besides I'm used to my shop floor changing color every few months :D

Keep up the good work!!

Paint looks great Ray. I gotta get a decent compressor and a spray gun for my next project, especially for doing the hoods.

Mike.

DSCF2855.JPG

A little more progress. New bushings in front axle and assembly started. I send the wrong left front spindle to the sand blaster. This one must be for a 7000 series. It only has one keyway. I am putting my power steering unit on this so I dropped of a front spindle that is doubled keyed to get blasted.

DSCF2857.JPG

I think I got most of the black done. I am sure I will run across something that I missed. I know I still have to disassemble the hydro and take it to the car wash and get it cleaned up.

DSCF2855.JPG.37c2bb745a4c5b31cd10460e43574b15.JPG

DSCF2857.JPG.3f0b66257305213a1e13b68b0e18e1bf.JPG

GR8 progress Ray! I now have to watch out, when I paint outside (too many cars going to-from without regard to what I am doing), too much rain this last monthXX(. Checking around my area, most shops are doing art work blasting:(! Got an estimate on the 2110 seat deck of $70 (reasonable??). NO quantity discount! sm02

Cheers,

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">

quote:Originally posted by pungo

Well, this work shows why you are the President and we are...not. When I see this I want one too.

id="quote">
id="quote">I don`t know about all that. Painting is a real PIA to me. I like trying to do a decent job but it seems like I go through a lot of paint doing so.It is just plain luck that after three attempts of painting that hood that I did not have a run or a bug fly into it.The seat pan is next to get painted and I am sure I will mess that up at least a couple of times. I have over a quart of paint left so I should be ok if I run into issues.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Darl Swartz
    • Bill725
    • BLT
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts