Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wiring confusion on a 738.

mbinwi

Good Sunday morning to all!On a 738 Broadmoor that I'm putting together from a bucket of parts, at some time in the past, it appears the motor was changed, which included a dual system, non regulated electrical system. How would the wiring be different on this, as to what the stock diagram shows in the manual for a S/G and a regulator?I'm a little confused, (actually way confused) as to how this would be wired. It was pretty much in pieces when we picked it up, so I didn't get a chance to document how it was all together. This tractor had the lights on it too, which I think I can figure that out.Thanks guys,Mike.I guess I better read up on posting pics. I keep getting "No file to upload"

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG.ee9d7e7dc33b057765165eb2b3fdf955.JPG

Maybe this will help a little bit. I have a harder time explaining it. I just gotta do it to figure it out lol.

TractorWiringDiagram.jpg

TractorWiringDiagram.jpg.8d18bc96cf26c8bdafaaf6dbc08299c3.jpg

quote:Originally posted by BLT

Go to page 12 of book. There is a wire diagram.http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8auLYrE3Cwa5kbp796Dq.pdf

id="quote">
id="quote">Bob he needs a wiring diagram for a gear starter not a starter genorator. There different right?

Originally posted by SimplicitySwede
quote:
id="quote">Then go to page 12 of this .http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCyEN8ctF1rE3Cwa5kbp796Dq.pdf. Wire thru the two safety switches to the starter relay. Safety switches weren't on the 738.

Thanks Bob and Swede for the help. Bob, the second link you posted doesn't work. I have eliminated the two nanny switches, under the seat and the PTO, and I plan on using an ignition switch, not a separate kill switch and starter button. I have tried using the running 738 I have to see how it is wired, but it has the S/G and voltage regulator.

Mike.

Wow, perfect!

This is exactly what I needed Bob. After looking at this, the two wire connector that is hanging out from behind the starter (shown on the pic I attached to my OP) is the Terminal Block on Engine that is shown on this diagram. In the bucket of parts and pieces along with some wiring fragments, is some blue and purple wire. I think you hit it for me Bob, thanks! Maybe I actually have the 5008 series. The console has 738 decals on it, but I'm not sure just exactly what is original on this tractor.

Thanks again!

Mike.

No, the hood has 4 bolts that hold it in place, so maybe it is a 738, but it seems like the motor has been replaced and maybe the electrical system with it. It did have the two nanny switches. The front one was removed when I got it, and the one under the seat had a jumper wire in it. When I searched for the motor manual, through the Briggs site, it came up with a manual for the 92900 - 92999 series motor.

Thanks again Bob,

Mike.

The engine I have is model 196707, type 0225-01, code 910506. So, what ever pieced together tractor I have, at least now I can wire it, and continue on. The plate on the side of the frame has 898, which from what I have read, with a 3 digit number, you add 990 in front.

Mike.