Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GWGAllisfan

Well here's a new failure

GWGAllisfan

This one is a new failure mode for me.

Drive_Pulley_area.jpg

Finished mowing, parked, look down and saw what looked suspiciously like a drive key laying on the ground! It was, the drive key for the transaxle input shaft had worked it self completetly out. I think it popped out when I first moved the tractor that day. I'm pretty sure I cut the whole yard with it out, since I had some times where shifting acted like the gears weren't stopped even with the clutch in. On occasion I would hear a sound like a screetch but I assumed it was likely a mower bearing going bad.The good news is I have the Pulley off and it looks like the shaft is OK. The pully rurned pretty easy on the shaft, but was hard to get out past the area the pulley doesn't rid on of the shaft. Do you think this was just from it being hot or should I try to find another 6" pulley with a 3/4" drive to replace it?

Willy

I would just put it back on as long as it look ok.

I've had the set screw loosen and the key come out,

the first thing I thought of was darn an axel tube.

Always glad to see just minor stuff.

You might try putting a little lock-tite on the set screw.

perry
quote:Originally posted by GWGAllisfan

The good news is I have the Pulley off and it looks like the shaft is OK. The pully rurned pretty easy on the shaft, but was hard to get out past the area the pulley doesn't rid on of the shaft. Do you think this was just from it being hot or should I try to find another 6" pulley with a 3/4" drive to replace it?

id="quote">
id="quote">

There may have been a small ridge there blocking the pulley to come off .

B110guy

I had that happen to me the other day. I keep everything soaked in never seize so I can change from the standard to my 10" and she just slid apart.

B110guy

Talntedmrgreen
Originally posted by perry
quote:
id="quote">That's what happened to me...lost the key pushing snow (hard) and when looking down, the pulley was there and spinning in neutral. When I tried to drive, nothing...a touch of grab, but no motion. I was ready to push it to the shop and grab another machine, and saw the key laying against the white hardpack snow. The shaft had enough of a ridge that it wouldn't slide off on it's own.

pungo

I keep a 12 inch section of keyway bar stock handy. The pulley that comes off the bevel gear box and drives the PTO will loosen and spin like that, throwing the key....away.

I can say teflon tape on the allen set screw doesnt seem to help. Glue on the way! The groove on both shaft and pulley look clean, the keyway always sets tight, thats what I dont understand.

littlemarv

Try a new set screw, they are designed to "bite" into the metal of the shaft, once they are loose and the ridge on the end is dull they are shot.