Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

64 landlord 990314 steering gear play

ss74nova

64 landlord 990314 steering gear play.Is there a fix for this? The gears seem ok? The shafts & bearing assemblies seem to wobble quite a bit, but there is no replaceable bushing or bearings in these just metal to metal contact. Is there a modification for this or should I try to find a good set of used gears as these seem unavailable new? Also I'm going to replace the bushing in the column as this is available at jacks small engines.

Thanks,

Tim

The smaller gear is "cambered" on its bolt and can be moved closer to the larger gear to reduce gear lash. It would be in a manual. I may have it...I'll look if nobody else pipes in sm01

quote:Originally posted by pungo

A good grease makes a difference on mine.

id="quote">
id="quote">

There is a nut on the bottom, a square head set screw in the side, and a screwdriver slot in the top.

Loosen the bottom nut, then the set screw, adjust with the screw driver, then tighten the set screw to hold the shaft while you tighten the nut.

It has 2 gears a small one & a large one. The large gear is fully round, not a half gear like I see in most of the parts lists & the shafts are straight & there is no adjustment anywhere. I wonder if it has gears that are similar to the 700s & 725s. I'll take some pics when I get home tonight. I did see an older parts list for the landlord that only covered 2 models (the 990314 & another one I can't remember) & it listed the parts I have but they are unavailable from jacks small engines.

Thanks for all the replies,

Tim

According to your newly purchased repair manual :D

You have an earlier gear set in that tractor. There is no adjustment.

Used is your only option for replacement, or you could possible drill the housings and add bushings or bearings.

I'll look and see if I have any used left.

Thanks for the info rokon2813. I wonder if I could also retrofit a newer style gear set if I can't find a suitable replacement. Also I'll look into the bearing/bushing idea too.

I'm pretty sure either style will bolt in.

Some of the guys who put loaders on their tractors go to the old style with the full round gear because the ratio is a bit lower and makes steering easier with a heavy load.

BTW, I just checked, I have a B1 gear set on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171068906381&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

If you have the round gear set, and replace it with the newer "pie-shaped" gear, you will also need to replace the entire steering shaft. They are different...

Had to do that when I did the retrofit that Dan describes for the 2012 I had with a loader on it...

That's good to know before I dive in & run into problems with the steering shaft Kent. I'll keep that gear set in mind that you have on ebay rokon2813. Does only 1 of the shafts wobble on that one on ebay rokon2813. Both shafts on mine do & when it was together I could see the gears pivot away from each other & I had almost 1/2 turn of steering play driving it around. Was hard at first to keep it in a straight line when mowing. Thanks everybody for all the ideas & suggestions.Now I'll have to decide what I'm going to do.

Tim

Yes only one has a small amount of wobble.

I don't think just those shafts being bad will give you a half turn of play unless the gears are jumping teeth.

I would check every joint, from the steering wheel to the front tires. You have play somewhere else to that if fixed, might make the gear play more tolerable.

Chances are where the steering mounts to the front spindle, your key is worn out, set screws loose etc, drag link ends may be loose, (some of those are adjustable too) and perhaps the steering arm at the bottom of the big round gear shaft may be loose too.

The bolts and block at the bottom of the steering shaft loosen and wear too.

Ok, I'll take a look at all that stuff. I'm sure everything has some play in it. It did feel like the steering was skipping a bit & I could see the gears move away from each other when I put pressure on the steering wheel to the left or right. Thanks

I got home from work yesterday & took another look at those steering gears. The shafts definately wobble pretty bad in both gears & I'm pretty sure the steering was skipping. If I had my own machine shop I could try to repair this but otherwise it would be too expensive. So I ordered the set of gears rokon2813 had on ebay (Thanks Dan).This seems like the easiest fix & the parts were availble at a reasonable price. I also ordered the steering column bushing from jacks. The bushing was so bad it dropped down inside the column so the steering wheel & shaft also moved around near the top of the column. Once I get the parts & put it back together I'll post how I made out.

Thanks everyone for all the help,

Tim

while on this topic: does anyone know what size the "C" or "E" clip at the bottom of the steering shaft is? Mine has fallen out and without it there's nothing to prevent the shaft from coming up if the steering wheel is pulled up hard.

I'll check mine tonight or tomorrow. Mine has the clip but I could still pull up on the steering wheel & the shaft seemed to pull up about 2 inches if my memory is correct. I can't seem to figure out what the c-clip does besides preventing the column bushing from dropping out of the column. According to the parts diagram I seem to have all the parts. There is only 1 column bushing & that is near the top of the column correct?

Tim

GWGAllisfan, the c-clip on the shaft below the small gear is about .063 thick, the shaft is 3/4" & measuring inside the groove is about .712. The c-clip on the long steering shaft is about .093 thick, the shaft is 3/4" with no groove in it. I think that c-clip just slides up to the bottom of the column bushing but not sure. The woodruff key for the steering wheel is a #9 (3/16X3/4"). I'll try to post some pics with this. Hope this helpsTim

CIMG1836.jpg

CIMG1837.jpg

CIMG1838.jpg

CIMG1839.jpg

CIMG1840.jpg

CIMG1836.jpg.721b3997ccc51a84a7ddfa7e5804e678.jpg

CIMG1837.jpg.e8e8d76331e522a95e05b7b0189c7bea.jpg

CIMG1838.jpg.2845e501b437676671cb40652f301acc.jpg

CIMG1839.jpg.8f53265ea108510ce8199247f1e31ffa.jpg

CIMG1840.jpg.169062d896305abc2bd210deb681b8e4.jpg