Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Need help with a 2011 Regent

Gary

Sister-in-Law has a 2011 Regent 38, with a 19.5hp Briggs Pro Series. I wasn't there when this happened. She says it was mowing fine. Put it in reverse to turn around and it started sputtering. Put it in forward and mowed another round with it running fine. Again, in reverse it sputtered and died. It would not restart. It has plenty of gas.

I removed the plug. It was fouled pretty good with soot and gas, and installed a new Autolite. Also changed the fuel filter. No luck with restarting. Not even a sign of firing while cranking. I even put a little starting fluid into the cylinder, with no result. I haven't yet tried grounding the plug to see if it arcs.

Safety switches seem to be operational.

Anybody out there got any experience with these newer mowers/engines? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Ronald Hribar

Has a safety switch that does not like you mowing in reverse

There should be a bypass switch on the dash

It should have a red light when it is working

I had trouble once with mine

Made sure every connection was made

No problem after that

Gary

Checked, rechecked and checked all switches and couplers. Nothing soft set or in the wrong position. Grounded out the spark plug...no spark.

Checked the ignition switch, coupler and wires. Everything is as it should be.

Checked ignition wire harness. Found the purple ignition wire pinched between the "fire wall" and the frame. It had to have been assembled that way. It took a year and a half, but it finally vibrated enough to cut into it and ground out.

Now, I'll have the fun of telling her Simplicity Dealer the sad but true tale, and see if they'll do anything about it. It's still under warranty. They'll probably say that I voided the warranty by fixing it. LOL!

Anyway, thanks for your time and help.

It was, and always is, appreciated.