Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

M20 throttle/gov adjustment

Talntedmrgreen

Looking for a bit of help...any tips you may have on adjustment of an M20 or KT are welcome, as I have no experience with them. Mine runs fabulous, but at max throttle was a bit low on rpm...slowed ground and blade speed was evident. It ran a 48" deck fine, but I had to go pretty darn slow for a good cut (every other machine I have mows circles around this one), and when I added a vac to the mix yesterday, there wasn't enough ummph to run both...I can go downhill, but the engine falls flat on it's face when going back uphill (gentle slope...nothing major). So, naturally I begin to monkey with the governor, etc and now have uncontrollable max rpm and the engine will nearly stall under a load, even when revved high.

When sitting in the driveway, the fuel settings throughout the operating range seem spot on, and the air cleaner is clear. Plenty of fuel through the filter and the tank is venting. Flip on the PTO, and she bogs right down, and recovers a bit. When putting the tractor in motion, it bogs more, and when trying to mow uphill, I have to stop or kill the clutch to survive the climb. =[

I can't find a thing about adjusting this in my M20 or 7100 manuals...fuel screws, sure, but throttle and governor adjustment...nothin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I mowed with the 7790 as a backup last nite, and now need to go home and bail hay...it was pretty long =] (BTW...I can mow at max Sundstrand speed with that diesel and not a blade of grass gets missed...it cuts like butter, and really hauls the mail, but I miss the PS)

Sorry...Walbro carb, and I can grab pics of my setup/springs tonite. Maybe I'm missing one, or have an incorrect spring? That used to plague me on the old Briggs.

Well, let's hope that's not the case...it governed fine before I monekey with it, I just couldn't get the RPM's up where I wanted them. Now, I got the RPM's and no gov. I did download the repair manual, and it provides the governor adjustment, as well as throttle stop adjustment. I never even saw the throttle stop before, and that's what I should have adjusted in the first place, I believe. (and NOT, the governor)

I'm hoping tonite it's a simple pair of adjustments to get me where I want to be.

The good news is, while mowing downhill, the PECO vac wasn't leaving a thing behind...it was pulling in the long clippings really nicely.

Got the governor squared away, but still cannot get RPM up. It's almost as if the throttle cable is too long, or the spring is too light. If I push a touch on the LH side of the carb, against the throttle linkage, she revs and governs right where I want her to be, but I can't get there thorugh adjustments. The throttle stop isn't even close to being contacted by the arm, but I cannot push the arm rearward, to pull more on the governor. Throttle cable need a trim?

11634-l.jpg

Josh, can you get more RPM`s by moving the cable further one way or the other in this cable clamp. I know I have had Briggs 16hp in the past that made a difference on where this clamp was located.

11634-l.jpg.4325147d39714a0f7adf6c72bda95b14.jpg

I'll have to do some digging around to see where the nearest clamp to the carb is...I didn't see one, might have to add one. I too, use them on my FDT's, but the linkages on those setups allows precise adjustment also, which is nice.

With the engine stopped, If you loosen the nut on the governor arm, pull it all the way away from the carb (wide open) hold it there and turn the governor shaft clockwise, tighten the nut, your governor should work properly, provided the governor spring and throttle cable is in the proper position to get your 3600rpm as Ray said. You shouldn't have any surging or uncontrollable speeds. You will probably have to tweak it the spring setting and linkage, but your governor should work properly.

Gotcha...this is the procedure I used last nite, and the governor is now functioning properly. I monkeyed with the spring a bit, to get my sensitivity where it needed to be (book settings for the spring didn't pan out). I was able to mow, slowly, but still need to get my RPM up. I think I'll try adjusting the cable back a bit, to allow use of the throttle stop to set my max RPM, and I should be all set. It's actually been quite simple, once I familiarized myself with the setup, and a good learning experience. A lot of the machines I've bought, are pushed aside because there are carb/gov/throttle adjustment issues that folks can't wrap their head around. I can be the same way, but I just can't get past it until I've solved it. Then, the next one is a piece of cake =]

Now, electrical stuff can make me throw my hands in the air.