Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

50 Inch Deck Question

leeave96

Update: My Brother welded up the broken deck bracket tonight and we reinforced it too. I'll have some pics tomorrow.

I've got a couple of lawns to mow tomorrow and will see how this fix helps.

Thanks,

Bill

Is it just me? but your 50 inch bracket appears to be bent on the top of bracket .

Seems to be sloped to the left.

or did i miss something on this thread?

quote:Is it just me? but your 50 inch bracket appears to be bent on the top of bracket .

Seems to be sloped to the left.

id="quote">
id="quote">

It sure does appear to be bent. And even more so than my brother's machine, his was very minimal, but enough to cause exactly what is being shown here, pulley hitting the deck bracket.

I guess it's the angle of the picture, both brackets look pretty much identical to me. However, to rule out anything, I used the bracket off the 38 inch deck and put it on the 50 inch deck. I shimmed with two washers whatever gap there was between the ears on the bracket and the deck - and biased it such that it pushed the deck ear that is hitting the drive pulley maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch away from it. What surprised me was how flexible the black bracket is. I could take a small flat blade screw driver and easily pry the ears away from the deck ears (to the inside). Ultimately what needs to happen is the black bracket needs to be boxed-in at the top - so it's a closed square instead of a U shape. Don't know if Simplicity designed-in this flexibility into the bracket so it would "give" a bit - rather than bend the deck or something else. What I do know is this deck hanger arrangement is definitely a cost reduction as compared to my Agco Allis 918H.

Soooooo - here's where I stand:

I've tightened the front axle pivot.

I've repaired the broken deck bracket where it attaches at the rear of the deck and reinforce that joint.

I've made sure there is no binding in the deck level adjustment rod.

I've set the front of the deck higher than the rear - per the manual.

I've replaced the black front mounting bracket and shimmed any gap that was there and biased the deck ears with the shims a bit further away from the drive pulley.

Whew!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting tired of crawling around this tractor!!!!!

Got two lawns to mow this afternoon.

I'll have some pics tonight.

Thanks!

Bill

Pic Update:Wire brushed the broken bracket at the rear of the deck.

IMG_1718.JPG

Here's another view - you can see where the bracket broke from the deck. Seems like a thin web to me. We reinforced this after repairing the break.

IMG_1722.JPG

Buffed a spot for a ground clamp.

IMG_1723.JPG

Welded this side and then the other.

IMG_1724.JPG

Added another piece of steel to this area to reinforce it.

IMG_1726.JPG

Left enough room to get a fillet weld up the side and also on the other side.

IMG_1727.JPG

Primed and painted the area and about 1:30 this afternoon gave the 50 inch deck another try.

IMG_1740.JPG

I couldn't tell that the deck rubbed the deck ears. All seemed to go very well.Thanks!Bill

IMG_1718.JPG.fefeb022372fa7a8fc61a8c1f77da778.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG.6e7120c59624a86b4c57439b68401bff.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG.db2e09fdb684a9db55ba86bfbb1ee5b7.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG.195a8546067787652d96c7b43e3af3c4.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG.eedc9dca24998272ff1f4983314d5f56.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG.676693fccff6c1adb988ab9e1e6043fb.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG.a6052f674eedb2ab85c6a8fcbdf00650.JPG