Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dkish

kt17 to magnum 18

dkish

i know this has been talked about before, but I am lousey with wiring. im replacing a kt17 in a 7117 with a magnum 18. the engine I picked up has a remote oil filter base and hoses. can that be replaced with an on engine filter? also, is there a wiring modification I have to do? its the same basic engine, correct? so the exhaust and other external items are the same?

Brettw

The differences between the KT Series II and Magnum is the ignition system. All other dimensions and components are basically the same. The KT is a battery ignition system with points and a coil. The Magnums are an electronic ignition. The difference in the systems are that the KT's ignition system is battery power to coil to create spark, the Magnum is sparked internally and is a ground to kill system. In other words, the KT gets it's spark from power supplied to a coil and when shut down power is killed to the coil. The Magnum generates it'[s spark internally through a magneto, and it is shut down by grounding out that internally generated spark.

I believe there is a kit for an engine mounting plate for the filter.

BLT
quote:Originally posted by dkish

Does anyone have one of those relay kits from repower? The phones are disconnected.

id="quote">
id="quote">The repower kit is nothing more then a Bosch relay and four pieces of wire. Each automobile carries at least a dozen of them, to serve various electric functions.If you PM me an E-mail address I will send you a wire schematic to tie into your current ignition.

PhanDad

Why are so many folks leary of messing with the dash wiring?

When the engine is out just replace the "Kohler"ignition switch for a Briggs switch.

See this post for more than enough info, including a great BLT video about how to repin the wiring harness connector:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=128879

BLT
quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Why are so many folks leary of messing with the dash wiring? When the engine is out just replace the "Kohler"ignition switch for a Briggs switch. See this post for more than enough info, including a great BLT video about how to repin the wiring harness connector:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=128879

id="quote">
id="quote">DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now why didn't I think about that.:I

dkish

ok, I installed the relay, but the ground for the ignition grounds with the key on. backwards. I used the 5 pole relay found at autozone or radio shack and they are normally open. when the relay is energized with the key on, the terminal for the mag grounds. is there a normally closed relay that you folks are using? sorry for beating a dead horse here!

Dave

ReedS

On a 5 terminal relay, there is usually a nc and a no terminal. With the relay energized (engine start and run) you want to open the nc circuit on the switched part of the relay thus removing the ground from the mag kill circuit. The 87a terminal is the nc circuit. So ground to #30 term, mag kill to 87a, power (in start and run)to #85 and ground to #86.

midnightpumpkin

A word of caution.

What ever you do, DO NOT apply 12V to the "mag kill" wire, if you do it will destroy the magneto ignition. As stated before, that wire needs to be open to run and grounded to stop the engine on the M18.

John U

ReedS

Your welcome! I'll second John's advice from above, never, never apply voltage to a mag kill wire! This holds true for most anything with a mag be it Briggs, Kohler or Wisconsin and Tecumsah! Yes I'm fairly certain I spelled it wrong! :P