Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rokon2813

Showboat

rokon2813

Found me a new "boat" to take to shows.Trying to do more, smaller shows, just a couple days so I don't want to make an extra trip for the big camper when the wife and kids aren't going.So I found this, big enough for me, and a helper if I need one. It was built for a smaller truck, so it only weighs about 1200 pounds. Had to raise it 6" to clear my roof but we'll see this weekend how it works out.Even enough room on the back porch for a lawn chair. :D

camper 1.jpg

camper 2.jpg

57e0586c4dddc_camper1.jpg.f4ca147753763e2ebe5028eb68b2dc0a.jpg

57e0586c5ebb3_camper2.jpg.04ba72cb7b81059babb1d68c0f1f938b.jpg

Talntedmrgreen

That's ideal! My old man used to pick one up every other year or so...redo the upholstery, mechanicals, etc, then use it for a deer season or two and sell it to make some dough. I sure miss those trips! Yours is the perfect setup for shows. I could talk my wife into that, I bet ;)

pungo

Me and my Dad took one to California on the back of his new 1970 Chevy C-10, no air or power. I still have the truck, drive it every day.I like truck campers!

SimplicitySwede
quote:Originally posted by pungo

Me and my Dad took one to California on the back of his new 1970 Chevy C-10, no air or power. I still have the truck, drive it every day.I like truck campers!

id="quote">
id="quote">Not to Hijack the thread but pics of the truck?! I got a 68 C20 and a 71 GMC C1500

ka9bxg

I like that camper alot.I would like to find a pop up version of a truck camper for the shows only . I can not tow the 5th wheel and the 18 foot trailer behind the truck. The pop up would work great for that. Still looking.Bob

rokon2813

I think it looks a bit better than it is.

Roof has been patched several times, but it's been here through the last 2 months of rain, and only leaked once that I saw. I think the wind was just right to push it through some cracks in a skylight.

I'll replace that, then put new plywood around the bunk.

The fridge doesn't work, I'll watch for a used one, but ice will do for 2 day shows.

The stove works, still working on the furnace. The pilot lights but the burner does not kick on.

I rebuilt the propane door and the main door, the propane door was bent, and the main door was broken and in several pieces, both laying inside when I got it.

I repaired a mouse hole in the plumbing, and a new flush valve for the toilet and the plumbing is all good now.

Gonna recover the seat cushions for 1 mouse hole, and I put a futon mattress in the bunk.

After a good 2 days of scrubbing and sanitizing, all the mouse stuff is gone. It apparently was a tenant house for critters for a couple years.

Exterior lights need to be replaced, and the interior all works but need new lenses on a couple.

We'll see how it works out for a couple shows before I spend a lot on it, but for the $145 I have in it now, including repairing the plumbing I think I did okay :D

I wanted something a little less primitive than my truck cap to sleep in, but not so nice that I couldn't stuff a few boxes of parts in without being afraid of hurting it, and still be able to pull the trailer for making just one trip to small shows / swap meets.

For the large, close shows, I often make up to 5 trips. :o

BTW, its a 1985.

Tacey

I like it! My wife and I sell stuff at craft shows and it's nice to camp at the venue. We see many varieties of camper gear; everything from converted cargo trailers to motorhomes. Good luck with your new camper and we'll see you on the road!

Talntedmrgreen

Dan, you got me thinking now. My wife has been inquiring about finding a camper...she wants me to sell my hunting lodge, which is a 36' bunkhouse, and find something we can actually hit the road with. Trouble is, I own it with another fella, and we kinda love all the space after a few days with no running water to shower with :o

I always liked the pickup campers Dad had, and they can be found cheap...you did GREAT! I bet she'd go that route for a few years anyway...once you get a couple kids in one of those, they become MUCH smaller ;) I may have to look at CL today...

GregB

If you think about the design of your spacer platform, you could probably get storage for the poles etc for a shade tent or a poly coverd carport.

stevenj

You might want to make something to add to the bed of the truck or the tailgate to prevent someone from closing the tailgate when you are in the camper so you don't get trapped inside, since the door opens outward.

timflury
quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

The stove works, still working on the furnace. The pilot lights but the burner does not kick on.

id="quote">
id="quote">It's amazing on how simple the propane powered stuff works after sitting all this time.Mostly, it involves evictions and good cleanings. Spiders like to take up residence where the mice can't.Heck, for all I know by the next time you see this, you may already have the heat working. ;);)

GLPointon

Nice...If it saves making extra trips for the big camper then its a great time & gas saver dOd and its nice to be able to cook, have cold food/drinks and sleep at the venues where you can keep watch over your stuff.....Maybe I'll see it in LaPorte next year for "The Event" ??? I hope sm01

rokon2813

Went to a small show Friday and Saturday, everything worked out well. Figured out a few mods I want to add. No pics though, forgot the camera :(!

Originally posted by GLPointon

Nice...If it saves making extra trips for the big camper then its a great time & gas saver dOd and its nice to be able to cook, have cold food/drinks and sleep at the venues where you can keep watch over your stuff.....Maybe I'll see it in LaPorte next year for "The Event" ??? I hopeid="red"> sm01

id="quote">Yep, slid my plywood table tops under there this trip, I'm thinking a 3 1/2 foot by 7 foot "drawer"
You might want to make something to add to the bed of the truck or the tailgate to prevent someone from closing the tailgate when you are in the camper so you don't get trapped inside, since the door opens outward.
id="quote">Haven't had time to mess with the furnace, but I figured a good cleaning was the first step. Weather is too nice to worry too much about heat yet.Cooking something to eat before bed, and morning coffee took the night chill off fine for this trip. ;)I'm more concerned with the fridge right now, and at the show I ran into an older gentleman that told me a trick that might "jump start" that and get it working again.

MPH

Good find Dan. Thinking about a pop-up for the Toyota for summer fishing to the coast and doing farmers markets with the honey. Had an 8 foot cab over on my '75 Dodge we drove to Calif for the natural birth of my daughters. Wife and two boys, it was full, but worked out good. Bear tore it up pretty good on a job site down by the boarder over a weekend a couple years later. :(!

rokon2813

Solved a few problems before GOTO :DShade, a place to sit, no one will close my tailgate on me :o:OCheap, light and easy ;);)

truck patio 002.jpg

truck patio 003.jpg

truck patio 001.jpg

57e05eb73db8c_truckpatio002.jpg.fcbecc4ea3c1489707ecbee373630e73.jpg

57e05eb74ecfd_truckpatio003.jpg.5b0f4ddeb8fb919ef6eeda4603206fdb.jpg

57e05eb773dc8_truckpatio001.jpg.f43d039028f2cf1205b6c9cf2c64d31e.jpg

rokon2813

no, engine row. About the second or third row north of the southern most hedgerow. Near the west end.

Or, 4 or 5 rows south of the track close to the main driveway.

I'm taking 1 load tomorrow, then another on Tuesday. Then 'll be there for the duration

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• wm_simpleton
    • Jay Red
  • Today's Birthdays

1. pitt
      pitt
      (53 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• Bubba1997

Bubba1997

Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts