Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Old Landlord 1700 Won't Start

Gebo

I paid almost nothing for this tractor. It has the Vanguard 16 Hp Hydro with 50 in deck. I had it running about a month ago. Tonight after a little pressure washing, engine would turn but not fire. After a while, it quit turning but the idiot lights come on and it makes a loud click in the white box behind the idiot lights on the right side. I got it hooked up to a charger for now. Any ideas other than to be more careful pressure washing?

I had put new plugs, air filter, gas about a month ago and it ran then. MFG 1692631

Welcome to the club!

Prolly just needs to dry out. Recharge the battery and see how it goes after it gets a chance to dry out.

PS What do you consider "old"?

You may have water or dampness in one of the safety switchs. Some need to be closed to run or open to run... Just a thought.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

Welcome to the club!Prolly just needs to dry out. Recharge the battery and see how it goes after it gets a chance to dry out.PS What do you consider "old"?

id="quote">
id="quote">20 years...LOL

First of all you have to determine if there is a spark.

If you have a spark, then see if the carb solenoid is functioning.

You are it a disadvantage from the start.

Being a pastor you may be limited to the use of certain words

that seam to work wonders on these old machines.

Say three Hail Mary's and check the battery connections, pay

chose attention to the ground wire where it bolts to the frame.

Sorry for the levity, the devil made me do it.}:):D

LOL....I'll try "Fiddle Sticks" and "Snackin Frackin!" Then I'll check the battery cables and ground right after I pray and ask for wisdom and forgiveness.

WIlly, Willy, you and I both know the devil can't make you do anything. Now on the other hand, a 9 mm to the temple can work wonders....;)

I traced and wiggled the wires from the ignition switch to the battery and followed the ground to the frame. All I get is a loud "clunk" up in the module area behind the switch when I try and crank it. Next suggestion?

quote:Originally posted by Gebo

I traced and wiggled the wires from the ignition switch to the battery and followed the ground to the frame. All I get is a loud "clunk" up in the module area behind the switch when I try and crank it. Next suggestion?

id="quote">
id="quote">You have to chase down the source of the "clunk" and with a Kodak get some pictures posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, FInally got to mess around with my tractor. Here is some important information that I believe will help in the diagnosis of my clunking in the dash but not turning over.

As I was unloosening and cleaning and tightening all the battery cables from the battery to starter to switch I accidentally dropped the black wire that comes from starter and goes to the post that is attached under the steering wheel . Right behind this post is the threaded post where the red positive from the battery and the wire from the switch are screwed on. Well, when I accidently dropped the loose end of this black wire from the starter it landed on the positive post on the battery and guess what? Motor started turning like a champ. But it didn't start. Does this information help?

What are the symbols on the lights? I suspect a safety is being made. Not sitting in seat. Pto on. Transmission not in neutral

Red Black 1.jpg

Here is the picture of the black wire headed out the top of the picture that I had loosened that fell on the positive terminal on the battery and engine started turning over. Along with a few sparks....

57e05ec6f0a68_RedBlack1.jpg.10ad43346e089e06f026c1dd9ead7d50.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

What are the symbols on the lights? I suspect a safety is being made. Not sitting in seat. Pto on. Transmission not in neutral

id="quote">
id="quote">From my understanding, they are all supposed to be on. The seat was undone by previous owner and has been running fine. PTO is off because when I lift the PTO button that light goes off. Transmission is in neutral because when I move the lever out of neutral, the light goes out.I believe it is electrical where I screwed up pressure washing it. B)

That is your starter solenoid Your connections look very rusty

And you should have a small wire running to the base of it

You will have to disconnect your battery to work on it

The negative lead first when removing

And the last when reinstalling

Below the white box there is a small black box below it and a threaded stud partially exposed. That connector has to pushed on all the way. That is the circuit braker and could cause problems.

White Box.jpg