Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB bearing redux

John_in_Oxford

Got the 6205 bearings in tonight.Left to right: Used Nachi 6205, New IDC bearing, New IDC bearing with seal removed.

Image3.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pic

Will it blend... er... does it fit? Looks like there's a recess in the 6205 around the bore that's not there on the IDC, not sure if it matters.

quote:Originally posted by Gordan

Will it blend... er... does it fit? Looks like there's a recess in the 6205 around the bore that's not there on the IDC, not sure if it matters.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes, its a direct replacement (after popping the seals for our application).Recess at the inner bore? - Just the camera I think. Actually, there is a recess in the outer race of the IDC to receive the seal(s) that wouldn't be present on an open bearing.Even though people have been buying Simplicity part numbers, "172256/2172256SM" is not special to only Simplicity - it is a standard spec metric bearing bearing with a "Special bore" used during the transitioning from fractional/decimal to current metric standards.The bit of research I've done indicates that the history of this bearing series goes like this:Fafnir 205K17/205817, BCA 205N14, NAPA 205N14, CR 6205VSP14, SKF 6205VSP14.After these, came the Nachi 6205 "Special Bore" and currently IDC "7/8" (but only with dual seals).In Europe, South America, Australia and New Zealand, the "open" 6205 bearing it seems is also still widely used, but they have different sources and distribution.Along the way, I also found that Briggs used this bearing in one of its engines, and if you decide to go all out and get into tractor pulls, there's a NASCAR class hybrid ceramic version that will set you back a coll 95 bucks a pop.LOL! And now you know how I relieve stress while working out the kinks on big machines - by hunting down trivia on the older ones.