Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mbinwi

Simplicity Cornet.

mbinwi

Evening guys,

I have an elderly family friend that would like a rear engine machine to use to pull around her yard cart. A rear engine unit is easier for her to get into, instead on trying to swing her leg over a regular tractor. I found a Simplicity Cornet, with a 10.5 hp Briggs on CL, and the ad says it needs a tranny, and that it is not a hydro. What would it have for a tranny? Something like a Peerless? The guy doesn't seem to know. I have know idea what model or year this would be. All the seller knows is that it has a single blade mower deck with the 10.5 Briggs engine.

Thanks,

Mike.

fishnwiz

I know the single blade rear engines go for low dollar amounts around my neck of the woods. Unless the mower in question was super cheap price wise, I myself would not mess with a tranny swap ...but that's just me.

mbinwi

I'm thinking your right Mark. It was listed for $75 in the Milw. CL. You probably seen the listing. I think I'll pass on this one, and keep looking around. She really doesn't even want the mower deck, just something to get around the property in and pull her cart. She has acreage with some hills and a pond.

Thanks,

Mike.

timflury

Acreage with hills and a pond, and she just wants something to pull a yard cart. And she's elderly, so a "step through" vehicle is preferred.

Would she consider a golf cart as opposed to a small riding mower?

I would trust the width of a golf cart over a small riding mower pulling a cart around hills.

mbinwi

Tim, I've looked at used / old golf carts for my own use up north, and they are expensive, and the 2 people I know that have them say that repair/parts cost are crazy. I do agree with you as to the stability, but she seems to like the rear engine tractor (I hesitate to call them tractors), as she had one before, but when it stopped running, her grandson quickly scrapped it, instead of fixing it.

Mark, yea! cool a Sportsman 500 would be great! She wouldn't use it during the winter, and it's just what I need to pull the ice shack around! I could just picture dear old "Grandma Nancy" on a Sportsman. I bet her family would pay a lot more attention to her!

Mike.