Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New toy: Allis 720 w / loader

isetta

36 hour road trip and it's finally home. The price was right even though it's rough. We pulled the bucket and put it in the back of the van. And yes that is an old beat up converted boat trailer with new bearings, tires and lights. Good enough for 1,900 miles!;)

AC72001.jpg

AC72002.jpg

ac72003.jpg

ac72004.jpg

AC72001.jpg.f568c541d51dd6ce8155cd9fa66d6044.jpg

AC72002.jpg.979068c6f221b725798e00f2e1ee7277.jpg

ac72003.jpg.f9bcb7bddd1a02a0d9bb1738556ab8f8.jpg

ac72004.jpg.7c97ea9686ce264c16f3c4cd3e79a4ca.jpg

Rick, it looks pretty good to me, but I am used to bring home derelicts.

What's going on with the front cross member of the loader frame, in the pictures it appears to droop on one side?

The tractor itself looks to be in good shape, I assume a non-runner?

You will enjoy having that loader.('sm01')

John U

John, that loader drooping is kinda like all things on this machine. The PO had taken it apart and got over his head. He re-attached and set stuff in place so it would hang together and that's it. One of the bolts he had holding upper pivot fell out on I-94 South of Chicago today, wow was my trailer rockin and rollin out there. I am going to put the loader on a newer machine and this tractor is going to be for sale.

Yukon, I am a great fan of Craigslist and like you will do it for the right tractor, or car or motorcycle......

quote:Originally posted by yukon

dang ive done a 12 hr road trip, 36 thats a long time but i would do it for the right tractor. great find :D:D:D

id="quote">
id="quote">

Nice find.

Not a big deal but the tractor looks to be a 620 not a 720.

Also, those Ark 600's were known to bend easily. I seem to recall that PowermaxPaul rebuilt one that was also bent. It may be a good idea to add an additional cross brace below the one in the front to stiffen it up. The Ark 700's widened that brace. Also check for cracks there the loader bolts to the frame.

Dan

quote:Originally posted by isetta

John, that loader drooping is kinda like all things on this machine. The PO had taken it apart and got over his head. He re-attached and set stuff in place so it would hang together and that's it. One of the bolts he had holding upper pivot fell out on I-94 South of Chicago today, wow was my trailer rockin and rollin out there. I am going to put the loader on a newer machine and this tractor is going to be for sale.

id="quote">
id="quote">Rick, those top pivots are special bolts with a grease zerk in them.A wet bolt for a trailer shackle may work.http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Redline/34007-187-00.html?feed=npn&gclid=CJbozMfvz7gCFe9aMgodtWkA9gJohn U

quote:Originally posted by yukon

i emailed the guy in cleveland he wants 5000.00 for it to rich for my blood.

id="quote">
id="quote">Right in my back yard! Dave, thanks for relieving me of the burden of even thinking about that one.John U

Thanks Dan, yes, I am not so good telling the AC's apart. I consider the loader as a great starting point. Whatever needs welding or rebuilding I can do. Nice to start with the real deal.Rick

quote:Originally posted by CleanBee

Nice find.Not a big deal but the tractor looks to be a 620 not a 720.Also, those Ark 600's were known to bend easily. I seem to recall that PowermaxPaul rebuilt one that was also bent. It may be a good idea to add an additional cross brace below the one in the front to stiffen it up. The Ark 700's widened that brace. Also check for cracks there the loader bolts to the frame.Dan

id="quote">
id="quote">

John, they have 1/2 inch bolts in them now, thanks for the tip on the trailer shackle hdwe. The loader looks to be intact and when we pushed the rod back into one of the cylinders by hand it moved easily with some resistance and the other rod moved out. I hope that means it has fluid and the seals are working. Didn't see any leaks.And yes, ouch 5 grand is alot for that Ohio PM with the backhoe

Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
quote:
id="quote">

I never worked on an Ark Loader but I did build my own backhoe. I have a Danco loader which is a bit heavier duty than the Ark.

If you can find a running PM tractor with a loader and backhoe for $5000, that is a good price in my opinion. The Brantly backhoe is nearly impossible to find which is why I built my own. It cost me about $2300 to build it. I do sell plans, if you want to invest that kind of time and money. It was worth it to me cuz it's a pretty powerful little digger.

Thanks Paul. The loader is missing the bolt on piece for the front of the loader frame. I can fabricate that but hats off to anyone who builds their own backhoe, wow very cool. I have been building and working on bikes, tractors, cars, anything with wheels and engines but would not tackle a backhoe / hydraulics from scratch. BTW I have been emailing the guy with the 5k machine. He says he has a front broom for it as well.Is this a Brantly backhoe on the PM?

Powermaxbackhoe.jpg

Powermaxbackhoe.jpg.22419d0fe05936460e4c1d7b66e21479.jpg

You said 1900 miles?

Where did you have to go to get it.

Nice find,..Would like to setup one of my 720s to a loader tractor someday.

Have a great time with it.

8D

I spoke to the man with the back-hoe and he said he reworked a few areas that were wollowed out. It is a factory allied unit for these tractors. He seemed to be pretty handy with these and has a couple other Powermaxes.

Paul, I thought you rebuilt a loader that was bent up, my brain is getting really old.

Dan

Shovelhead, I live in Michigan and the tractor was in OklahomaXX(

quote:Originally posted by CleanBee

I spoke to the man with the back-hoe and he said he reworked a few areas that were wollowed out. It is a factory allied unit for these tractors. He seemed to be pretty handy with these and has a couple other Powermaxes.Paul, I thought you rebuilt a loader that was bent up, my brain is getting really old.Dan

id="quote">
id="quote">

Yes. That is a Brantley hoe. Brantley was one of the allied manufacturers but made the same hoe for other tractors as well. There were very few around for the powermax tractors. I just can't imagine anyone not wanting one, but like everything else, I'm sure it was a high priced attachment at the time.

Thanks Paul, the 5k guy is willing to sell the hoe separately so am more interested now. Also do you have a pic of a filter mounted to the Ark 600? I was thinking of adding before I run the one I just got. Somewhere I saw a picture of filter added near the top of the left side upright. Rick

quote:Originally posted by powermax_paul

Yes. That is a Brantley hoe. Brantley was one of the allied manufacturers but made the same hoe for other tractors as well. There were very few around for the powermax tractors. I just can't imagine anyone not wanting one, but like everything else, I'm sure it was a high priced attachment at the time.

id="quote">
id="quote">

• 3 weeks later...