Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Advice on Deutz-Allis 917 sellingfor $2,000?

STUALX

What do you think of a mid-80's Deutz-Allis 917 with mowing deck (not sure what size) and snowblower for $2,000? Local dealer is selling one. What should I look for, and what price range is reasonable? I'm new at this. Thanks.

New with thrower is around $8000 so $2000 may be a very good deal if it is in good condition. Should be a 48" cut mower. Check for fluid leaks, bevel gear box play and mower bearing noise. Usually a dealer would already have checked these points besides engine condition. Engine power can be somewhat checked by seeing if speed drops much when blades are engaged. Also see about any kind of warranty provided.

Jeff: I just bought an 1980 Allis Chalmers 912 w/ snow blower for $1200 in good condition. Search back on this site for posts about the 912, I got very good responses from dlc and Fred telling me exactly what to look for to check the condition of the unit. I have the operators and service manuals for the 900 series tractors. I assume that the Deutz-Allis from the same time period would be the same? Maybe someone can tell us. If it is the same I would be happy to get you a copy of both assuming you purchase the tractor. Good luck.

The 917 is one sweet tractor with a very nice smooth running engine.
I wish I had one. Sounds like a fair price to me.

Tuffy