Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ac.d17iv

Tiller idler setup

ac.d17iv

Bought this tiller as part of my road trip last week. Seems to be in good condition with newer tines.

IMG_20130721_204120_896.jpg

IMG_20130721_204102_505.jpg

The idler setup has stuck pullys, neither one will move. I've sprayed with liquid wrench over the last week and no luck. Any suggestions?

IMG_20130727_092152_301.jpg

RayS

They are available new. They are also going to be around or over a $100.00

If you have the tiller manual the part numbers are in there.

Aldon

That looks awful close to the same tiller set up I have, just painted orange instead of yellow. The idler assembly on mine has given me grief since the day I first used it! I finally wound up replacing the pulleys and using clevis pins in them instead of bolts. You will need to make sure all of the belt stops are in place or the tiller will run even with the clutch disengaged. Lately I've had trouble with the belt coming off. I traced it down to the side pto pulley on the tractor being just a hair off a straight line. Moving the side pulley out that far puts it in an area where the square channel in the shaft is worn. %&&((^(&((

It's great when it works, but I've spent more time adjusting and repairing than using it.

ps: be sure to run the tractor slow when you're using it with the hydraulics on float. If the tiller catches roots or intact sod it can take you for a ride! My fence paid the price for that when I got to close to the end of the garden once:)

RayS

There are rivets in the smaller pulley. There is not in the larger pulley. It is spot welded then the two halves are brazed together. I took one apart last fall and it will need to be split with a bandsaw.

ac.d17iv

Just looked closer at them....the bearings are rusted. The small pully moves a little, the big one not at all. The pullys are expensive from simplicity. Ray, do you make a idler kit?

ac.d17iv

Better news to report...after a bunch of liquid wrench and working on it, the small pully is free. The large one is not yet, but showing movement...maybe there is hope.

RayS

Yes, I make them. If you can get the bottom one free with a WD 40 or some thing. drill a tiny hole in the steel shield on the bearing. Then use a grease gun adapter used on the sprockets of chain saws. You can fill the bearing with that and put JB weld over the tiny hole. It will not be like new but it will get you by until you get one.

Brettw
quote:Better news to report...after a bunch of liquid wrench and working on it, the small pully is free. The large one is not yet, but showing movement...maybe there is hope.id="quote">
id="quote">

I have freed up bearings in the past, just as you are. Whether they will last long term is another question, but I have had them free and smooth after working them with PB or Liquid Wrench, and then 30 weight oil. Good luck!