Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 speed pulley set up.

mbinwi

Part of the deal in which I acquired the two 738's, included a snow blower and a tiller, both in excellent condition. It is a "must" to have the 2 speed pulley set up in order to run these machines? They seem hard to find.

Thanks,

Mike.

I wouldn't say a hi-lo is a must, but they are nice. Do you have a two speed or a three speed tranny? If a three, I feel like low is slow enough when blowing. With the tiller, if you use a hi-lo, when you shift it to lo the tiller will also run slower, not just the ground speed, so I don't see what you gain. For the blower, in real deep snow going to lo is nice. The snow blower is run off the engine crank and is not affected by ground speed, only engine speed. The tiller runs off the pto on the tranny, which is affected by the input speed at the tranny. In lo, the input speed is slower, so the pto runs slower as well.

Steve

On my 728, which as far as I know, takes all the same attachments as the 738, when I use my tiller, 1st gear is perfect for tilling, I haven't had a big storm to test out the blower, but as far as I can tell so-far, 1st gear for blowing works fine as well. I'm not sure if you the same size engine or not, but I have an all stock Briggs 8HP

A hi-lo is nice, but not necessary. Also expensive for what they are. Switching to a larger drive pulley will do the same thing, at a fraction of the cost.

Broadmoors have a roughly 9" driven pulley now and less then an inch of clearance between top of groove and seat pan. Don't think larger would work.:(

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll mount the tiller and give it a test run, see how it goes. Steve, I have the 3 speed tranny, and Ryan, I have the 8 hp engine, although it's not the original, as it has a geared starter, and not the s/g, and if I remember right, when I seen the engine code, it's from 1991. I'll have to check the clearance on the pulley, and see if a larger one would fit. We'll see what happens on the test run.

Thanks again!

Mike.

• 4 months later...

The Broadmoor I had yrs back had a 10" drive pulley on the trans and 2 pieces of 1" square tube between the seat pan and the mounting flanges to raise the pan for clearance. Of course that was better in deep snow but when mowing I missed the stock pulley.

quote:Originally posted by huffy

Cut a slot in the fender. Problem solved. ;)

id="quote">
id="quote">Plus when your mcdonalds cup is empty its an automatic eject to get rid of the cup!:D Its also handy to throw nuts and bolts at the snow plow driver that plows the end of your driveway in! Of course I am kidding, but hey, that's how my mind works!:D

The 2 speed pulley (Hi-Lo Range unit) was really only for the 2 speed transmissions in the 6hp and 7hp Broadmoors - like the 707/717. The 3 speeds like in the 728/738 etc had a lower first gear, so you didn't need the planetary lo range. The 2 speed transmissions did not have a provision to run a tiller, so it didn't matter that the trans input speed was slowed down, unlike a 3 speed with a rear PTO that needs to run a proper speed for a tiller. Granted, if only a snowblower is being run with a lo range unit engaged, it won't affect the PTO performance as told above. If you have a lo range unit around - it would be handy to run, but they have some value to them and are full of obsolete parts. Tim

I never did get the tiller mounted for a test run, but we have mounted the snow blower on my son's 738, so we'll see how it works without the 2 speed.

Mike.

If I had to blow snow in Lo range, I wouldnt be blowing snow at all. Shoveling would be faster.

I have a 2-speed setup, more or less as a novelty. Also, it gives a slower range for when the kid will drive the tractor....A smaller pulley on the small frames makes them quick for joyriding and cruising shows (a mod I LOVE), and the HiLo brings the tractor back to a kid friendly speed. I dont think I would ever bother using it for tilling, and would go nuts blowing snow in a creeper gear.